AOL9 connection problems

igk 19:46 17 Aug 04

Hi, A friend has started having problems with aol 9 ( I would'nt touch it with a barge pole!) she can connect but this only lasts for a few minutes as soon as she tries to load a webpage the connection is dropped and it starts to dial up again (same trying to get e-mail) I have had a look at her machine and there were no M$ updates on it at all!(I have corrected this) except for sp1,and no firewall(I have put on Zone Alarm)I have done a antivirus check (with up to date antivirus,Norton)and put on Spybot, no problems found. If anyone could suggest anything I would be gratefull. Thanks.

Graham ® 20:49 17 Aug 04

How can you expect help from AOL users, who are the only people who can help?

igk 20:58 17 Aug 04

I don't understand what you mean,if its my comment regarding not touching aol with a barge pole? this was my personal opinion (and experience!) you only have to visit forums like this to see what problems these people have,there was certainly no offence intended!

Djohn 21:13 17 Aug 04

I think it was your unnecessary comment regarding AOL that brought the response from our Graham ®. You might be surprised as to how many members of this forum are also members of AOL and find it works more than satisfactory for them.

Is your friend using dial-up or broadband to connect through version 9 of the software?

igk 21:22 17 Aug 04

Djohn,
Thanks for taking the time to answer,its a modem dialup connection, I have done about all I can think of but aol seems a different world,one thing that I cannot understand when you do a properties in the internet options,connections tab, dialup there is no internet connection setup like there is usually (the o/s is win xp pro)

carolineann 21:43 17 Aug 04

Have you tried AOL computer check up.

Djohn 21:53 17 Aug 04

Your welcome. Yes, your correct in saying that AOL is completely different in the way it connects to the internet and it does hide it's properties for setting up the modem. Normally the set-up CD will install all the settings for you and give a first time trouble free connection.

Unfortunately I'm no longer with AOL and my memory is not as good as it should be :o(

The first thing I will suggest though is to try a different dial-up number, see if that helps in keeping the connection live. Log on to AOL then go to "Keyword" Best number. A fresh selection of numbers will automatically download and install. Log off and on again. the new number that has been placed in the dial-up settings will be used to connect.

You can also access these numbers yourself and alter the order in which they dial, try different ones, it does make a difference. I think you will have 5-6 numbers to choose from and you can place them in any order you wish. On logging on to AOL the software will try the first number on the list then move down through each one until it connects. Even if the first one connects it's not always the best one.

I remember from my dial-up days that a couple of the dial-up numbers would give me an instant connection but I could not send/receive e-mail through them, using others would give me line drops and 2 or 3 would always work fine under all conditions. These numbers were the ones I would set in my dialling preferences to be used at all times and remove the others. Give this a try and let us know how you get on.

plsndrs3 22:00 17 Aug 04

My son also connects to AOL9.0 with dial in [I have broadband on my own PC] but the only time he has lost connection is when Zone Alarm picks up an attempted intrusion from the sites he visits - maily chat rooms.

Djohn is extremely good with AOL, probably as good as tech chat, and I have also found that certain numbers connect instantly and some are engaged. Just trial and error really to find the best that suits you.

Anyhow, if my son can stay connected as long as he does, I can't see it being an issue with the actual software.
HTH

Paul

[And no harm done about the AOL jibe ;O0]

plsndrs3 22:00 17 Aug 04

My son also connects to AOL9.0 with dial in [I have broadband on my own PC] but the only time he has lost connection is when Zone Alarm picks up an attempted intrusion from the sites he visits - mainly chat rooms.

Djohn is extremely good with AOL, probably as good as tech chat, and I have also found that certain numbers connect instantly and some are engaged. Just trial and error really to find the best that suits you.

Anyhow, if my son can stay connected as long as he does, I can't see it being an issue with the actual software.
HTH

Paul

[And no harm done about the AOL jibe ;O0]

plsndrs3 22:02 17 Aug 04

Even broadband locks up from time to time - lol

igk 22:06 17 Aug 04

Thanks to everyone for the info,some I had tried and some I did not know about,so I will try again am tomorrow,once again thanks and I will post how I get on.(I shall wear sackcloth and ashes for a week for my comments!!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced