aol and wireless problem

lanemark 15:17 28 Dec 05

anyone else have problems geting a wireless connection with the aol supplied speed touch router?

Taff™ 10:52 29 Dec 05

Tell us a bit more about the problem and the Model of Speedtouch wireless router.

lanemark 12:29 29 Dec 05

speedtouch 576

My laptop says conected to my network but it cannot get ip address from router.

Taff™ 16:11 29 Dec 05

Couple of links. Is this the router click here ? If so support offered here click here

When you say "connected to my network" what makes you say that? If you can`t get an IP address I don`t know that you are actually connected to either your network or obviously the internet. How many other computers are involved in your network?

Sorry to keep asking questions but post back and we`ll help. If AOL supplied it you should be able to phone them and get free support - after all you are paying for it! Try looking on AOL`s help pages. Keywords "Wireless" and "Speedtouch".

lanemark 17:11 29 Dec 05

taff
Thanks for replying
I am probably not connected, but my laptop says signal is excellent.
I have tried aol, worse than useless!
I have looked at all their help pages and I have done all therir suggestions, how difficult can it be?
I have a pc connected with an ethernet and that works fine.

Taff™ 09:12 30 Dec 05

Ok. So your other computer can log on to AOL and surf the net with that machine. Once you are logged on with this machine what happens when you simply launch Internet Explorer on your laptop?

A couple of settings to check on the laptop. In IE go to Tools>Internet Options and make sure that Never Dial A Connection is selected and on the LAN settings below nothing is selected. In Network Connections right click the wireless connection and select properties. Scroll down to TCP/IP, highlight it and select properties again. Make sure that both the options selected are "Obtain Automatically"

I would then try turning off both computers and the router for five minutes. Reboot the router and then each computer in turn. This should force the router to reallocate the IP addresses.

lanemark 12:34 30 Dec 05

Taff

When internet explorer is opened on the laptop the std window appears saying the page cannot be displayed.
I check all the settings you suggested, they were as you explained , rebooted all three items but still the same message on the laptop.
Network connection details
physical address 00.14.XXXXXX
IP address169.254.xxxxxxxxx
subnet mask255.255.0.0
default gateway ( nothing here)
DNS server ( nothing here)
WINS server ( nothing here)

alan

Taff™ 16:23 30 Dec 05

I can see that the IP address 169.254.xxx is unusual it should be 192.168.x.x so I`ll have a look at that later - just off home! Where`s mgmcc when you need him/her!

gruffass 18:07 30 Dec 05

we got same problem as well but what we did to connect to our network was to manually put in the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server which we got off the main pc by right clicking the LAN the clicking, status, support. That got the laptop to stay connected to our home network but don't seem to be able to share and not able to get on internet. Don't know if thats the way to do it so any help would be appreciated

Taff™ 08:09 31 Dec 05

This thread click here sort of explains where we`re coming from.

lanemark 10:46 31 Dec 05

so it looks like the IP address I told you earlier is a windows assignedone and not the router assigned.
What should I do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…