Aol wireless network with Netgear-setup guide

joel42 16:54 09 Aug 06

I know that there have probably been plenty of postings on this subject-but I'm looking for a total networking beginners idiot guide to help me set up. My pc runs win xp pro and I have an aol silver account and have obtained a Netgear 834g v.3 adsl modem router from them. I want to set up a wireless network with my laptop that is on win2000 with SP4 installed and I have a Netgear 511T laptop wireless adapter on order.
Can someone please, please point me in the direction on an idiots guide to getting my computers on a wireless network, and do I need anything else-apart from a functioning brain?

ade.h 18:15 09 Aug 06

Not being funny, but you won't find many idiot's guides to networks. I can't really see any major pitfalls in what you intend to do anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.

joel42 10:08 10 Aug 06

ade.h
Just looking for some simple instructions, eg do I follow AOL's guide, Netgear guide or windows, as they all seem different. Need some basic help

ade.h 13:38 10 Aug 06

Just take all your ADSL parameters - the defaults plus whatever is unique to AOL (inc. the MTU) - and enter them into a new connection in the router's config UI. 192.168.0.1 for Netgears.

I can't remember AOL's MTU off the top of my head (I have it noted somewhere but I very rarely need to deal with AOL) but it has a responsibility to provide you with all such settings if you request them.

click here I wouldn't describe it as an idiot's guide and I haven't completed the Netgear section yet, but you can read the setup advice.

joel42 19:03 10 Aug 06

ade.h
Many thanks for your help with this.

ade.h 19:04 10 Aug 06

I found the MTU - 1400.

Dazza40 21:09 10 Aug 06

From my experience when running the AOl set up software select No when asked do you want to set up router wireless. Bit daft I know but managed to get it working by going to routers homepage and setting upo from there while connected by ethernet.
I have a speedtouch so don't know your site details I'm afraid. I too am a novice!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now