Aol Wireless Modem Router

Fawaz 16:38 28 Jul 07

Can I use any Wireless Modem Router with an AOL connection? At the moment, I've been using a BT Voyager 210 ADSL Router, and a Buffalo wireless router. They have both died on me, so I need a replacement.

Fawaz 17:02 28 Jul 07

I'm thinking of getting one of these from amazon.

BT Voyager 2110 Wireless ADSL Router

or

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch

Any advice on which I should get?

Dipso 17:06 28 Jul 07

The Netgear should be fine and I know AOL support these so that's a bonus.

Fawaz 18:15 28 Jul 07

Would a Belkin work? I just saw this router at argos

Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router

and it's got a speed of 300Mbps and a range of 425m. It sounds really good. I don't know how fast the other two i posted are.

Fawaz 18:19 28 Jul 07

Nevermind about that Belkin. I heard it's not very reliable and sometime won't work with my Xbox360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP.

Dipso 21:42 28 Jul 07

Not had much dealing with Belkin so can't comment. If you want better wireless why not look at the Netgear DG834PN or DG834N

Fawaz 21:49 28 Jul 07

What's a super g (108mps). Do normal devices using g run faster on a super g, or do they have to have built in super g support.

Also i noticed that the super g ones come with a usb device as well as the router. How come? There also seems to be some sort of card to put in your computer that you can buy seperately, is this necessary?

Dipso 01:15 29 Jul 07

To get the benefit from the faster wireless speeds you would have to buy/upgrade to the equivalent faster wireless card. Whether it be USB or PCI (built into your computer) "Normal" devices will usually only run to 54 Meg maximum.

You realise that the increased wireless speed won't make your internet connection any faster only the connection between your home network. Unless you do a lot of file sharing between computers on a home network you wouldn't gain anything other than the extended wireless coverage of these devices.

Fawaz 10:09 29 Jul 07

Cheers Dipso. You've been a lot of help. I think i'm going to get the Netgear DG834G, since I don;t have any N compatable products at the moment, and G has always been fast enough for me before. I guess my problem is solved :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac