AOL-what is it like?

cracker²³ 20:12 15 May 03

Need to change my ISP and I am thinking of signing up with AOL.Some honest opinions would be welcome.Thanks

STEVE71163 20:19 15 May 03

I have used aol for the last 2 years and would not change. :0)

Mango Grummit 20:29 15 May 03

Used AOL for three years, no probs at all.

MartinT-B 20:53 15 May 03

It's a nanny Program.

It only wants you to connect to the internet using AOL. It has it's own email - just try using another. It's integrated with a whole load of protocols that are a NIGHTMARE to get rid of if you change your mind.

If you don't care about how you connect/interact with the WWW etc, and want a program that 95% of the time is almost capable of wiping your rear-end for you. Get it.

Wow betide you if you decide to change or you're one of the unlucky 5%!

StevieB77 20:55 15 May 03

AOL is the only ISP I have used but I have no reason to try another. I use broadband now and NEVER have a problem signing on.

leo49 20:58 15 May 03

The TV ads are bad enough - if they don't put you off then you're obviously made for each other. :o)

cracker²³ 21:06 15 May 03

Thanks for your replies-just a thought-is it anything like MSN? Cos I hate that & never use it

cracker²³ 21:08 15 May 03

leo 49-Never seen the ads, I'm never away from the pc long enough to watch tv ;-)

Simon_P 21:22 15 May 03

I used it and didnt like it.
but think that it is probably good with parental control etc if you have kids.
Found that I got tones of SPAM.

Djohn 21:26 15 May 03

I was with AOL for just over 12 months, and at all times received good service. True, it is totally different from other ISP's and at the moment you do have to use their own e-mail system. But this is about to change any time now.

Out on beta test is AOL communicator, it looks and feels just like IE6 and you will be able to use all e-mail accounts from the one program, even send and receive using a pop 3 server.

In all the time I used AOL I connected first time without problems, excepting one short period of about a month, when it was necessary to re-dial a couple of times.

Even then it is not a problem because you are provided with several numbers, if the first one is engaged, your modem automatically goes on to the next number on the list.

Many occasions I have spent 6 or 7 hours on line, doing research and exams, no cut-off! If you find you no longer require the service then it is easy enough to remove. (It comes with it's own un-install program.)

I have left only for reasons totally unconnected with the quality of the service they offer, and although I am now just as pleased with Freeserve Anytime. I will miss being with AOL. J.

jeez 21:28 15 May 03

if your new to the internet and want to have your hand held all the way get it, but to most experienced users we wouldn't touch it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5