AOL and Voyager 100 ADSL Modem

Steven135 20:30 15 Jul 03

I have just returned from a visit to my daughter 200 miles away I took her my old computer an Evesham Axis 1400 Athon, 512 MB DDR Pc2100 Ram,2x40 Gig Hdds, ATI Radeon 7200 Graphics Card, Creative Audigy Player,WXP Home SP1.

I tried for hours to install the Voyager Modem without success. Whatever I did I ended with the message the OS is preventing the driver installation.

I removed Norton Internet security but that didn't help. Ran sfc /scannow, tried to uninstall the Modem Software but it wouldn't let me.

In the end I phoned AOL their advice: 'take it to a computer shop its an operating system fault and we can't help you!'

I could have formatted and reinstalled windows but simply didn't have the time.

There were no system restore points prior to loading modem Software.

Any ideas as to what my daughter could do, she doesn't know much about PC's (after yesterday I'm not sure I do).

TIA

graham√ 20:39 15 Jul 03

Is your daughter already on AOL Broadband on another PC with this modem?

Steven135 20:45 15 Jul 03

grahan, Sorry I should have said the Modem ran fine on her old PC and when I put it back on it worked OK.

I also emptied temp file, defragged, ran scandisk and clutched at evry passing straw.

graham√ 21:05 15 Jul 03

I wonder if this is a job for the Compatability Wizard? Might be worth a shot.

The Idle one 21:19 15 Jul 03

One thought - Is the modem usb or lan connected to her old pc.
If yours has a miodem setup to work usb & you try to change to ethernet connection there are a number of files in the registry that do NOT delete on reload of software. I cant remember what they are called (sorry), but i had a usb satellite modem on old machine & lan connected on replacement machine and had similar problem.

Steven135 21:32 15 Jul 03

Thanks for the responses its a usb modem, I'll tell her to try the compatibility wizard but I had put XP on her old Pentium 2 machine a while ago it installed ok on that.

Have to say I was amazed at the AOL response they had no suggestions at all save take it to a computer shop, who would no doubt format and re-install XP! Even when I asked if anyone else had ever had this problem.

My daughter tried to cancel AOL and to get another modem from a different ISP, AOL just said you can't you have a telve month contract. Very helpful!

Steven135 22:54 16 Jul 03

Just bumping this, trying compatability wizard didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas short of a reformat?

BillEmm 00:01 17 Jul 03

Your PC looks quite well loaded with 'extras' and Evesham PCs are known to be a bit short on the power side.

What wattage is your PSU? USB ADSL modems are famous for demanding loads of current from the on-board controllers and if the 5 volt supply is not in good shape then there will be no chance of powering the modem.

Have you tried a self-powered USB hub? If it is a power related problem then this sometimes helps. It should have one on anyway, to protect the on-board controller. Make sure it is one which is not over-current sensitive.

Just a few thoughts.

Bill

Steven135 00:17 17 Jul 03

BillEmm, thanks for your help she has an Iiyama monitor with USB ports would it work to plug it into one of these?

Mango Grummit 01:07 17 Jul 03

Yup, see
click here

and
click here

Worked for Orco at least.

Good luck, M

Steven135 01:17 17 Jul 03

Thanks both I'll ring her tommorow and get her to give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…