AOL Users update

CHAIRLEG 00:10 19 Jul 05

Just wondered if anyone else has received this auto update and has it made a difference.I just got mine and it's never been so fast.

stlucia 13:34 19 Jul 05

Had a few AOL auto updates in the past year, but never noticed a real difference other than it seems to take much longer to load up at the beginning. I put this down to more links or other bumph on the main screen.

Diemmess 14:28 19 Jul 05

Do you mean the automatic doubling of the BB connection?

Like BT exchange mods. to make Broadband possible it took time to be available at all in rural areas. This time it is Aol working through a "things to do" list.

My AOl speed doubled only this month, and is fine for big downloads.

Agree with stlucia, it seems the first run after switch on is a tedious process. If restarted in the current Windows session the speed of connection is more like it used to be without the "latest improvements!"

CHAIRLEG 19:23 19 Jul 05

I was doubled up to 2mg in june.At midnight last night just as I was signing off I got this update so I restarted comp and stayed on a bit longer and since then it is certainly much quicker.There was an update earlier this year which was mentioned by Curly Whirly but I never got that one,maybe this is the same one but late.

CurlyWhirly 21:07 19 Jul 05

[QUOTE]There was an update earlier this year which was mentioned by CurlyWhirly but I never got that one

I didn't get it either as my telephone line can't support the faster speed. I received a £5 reduction though.

CHAIRLEG 21:47 19 Jul 05

New AOL connectivity service download 20.01.05.I was meaning this one,Don't know how to do Click Here from my posting.

pharte 21:59 19 Jul 05

I got a message from AOL to inform me that the intended upgrade to double my speed (at no extra cost) was running 6 months behind schedule.
I have heard a story that the upgrades are having a detremental effect on connectivity with some subscribers and with loads of disconnections due to some lines being unable to handle the increase, as I am already experiencing up to 20 disconnections in one evening on a regular basis and I haven't even got the upgrade yet.

Anyone else any advice on this point as I am loathed to ring customer support as they have now supposed to have withdrawn free support plus the standard reply from the drones in the help office is to re install and or reboot.

On a last point, it is only usually aol itself that disconnects, explorer and msn messenger usually stay connected (but not always)

CHAIRLEG 22:12 19 Jul 05

Iwas to get my double speed this month butI got it on 22.06.2005 so they seem to be croossing their wires somewhere.

Broadband Speed Upgrade
In February, AOL announced that it would double broadband speeds. Most accounts have now been upgraded. However, due to unexpected technical problems, some upgrades will not be completed until the end of July. If your connection hasn't been upgraded, please visit AOL Keyword: Speed Upgrade which contains the latest scheduling information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…