AOL users please note

Forum Editor 12:04 19 Oct 03

We get a fair number of emails as you can imagine, and we try to respond to all of them (although at busy times some slip past us). I'm seeing more and more replies to AOL users bouncing, and this is no doubt the result of AOL's silly and draconian anti-spam measures.

If you have emailed me from an AOL adress and haven't had a reply, that will be the reason.

DieSse 02:22 21 Oct 03

I have today posted this note of complaint to Oftel click here

I would recommend everyone who has encountered this to post a similar complaint. I don't yet know if they have any jurisdiction, but a large enough volume of complaints may make them take some notice anyway.

-------------------------------------------------

AOL have instituted a "SPAM" blocking regime, which routinely blocks legitimate and legal non-spam emails from private individuals and businesse to AOL users.

Their policy/technology blocks all emails from specific ISPs when inuse - not merely those shown to be containing "SPAM".

I know this to have been applied to all emails from Wanadoo Spain at one time - and have reprots that it has been applied to other ISPs, including UK based ones.

I feel this is unwarranted and illegal interference with legitimate communications traffic, and would like to see them told to caese this policy and fix their technology.

-------------------------------------------------

DieSse 09:01 21 Oct 03

Go to the top of the pile

Andsome 09:05 21 Oct 03

I personally wouldn't touch AOL with a barge pole. When my son tried to uninstall AOL, he ended up having to re-install Windows.

graham√ 09:12 21 Oct 03

We don't get much spam, though. :-)

Mango Grummit 09:35 21 Oct 03

The maddening thing is though, we still do get spam. This is something AOL have got wrong I'm afraid.

Andsome -- I wouldn't let your son near my computer with a bargepole!

DieSse 09:40 21 Oct 03

"We don't get much spam, though. :-)"

Don't get much at all from the sound of things!!

I don't get ANY spam - and the software I have does it all for me.

The Sack 10:06 21 Oct 03

*I personally wouldn't touch AOL with a barge pole. When my son tried to uninstall AOL, he ended up having to re-install Windows.*

He did it wrong then!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe people are just hitting the report spam button without thinking?

hoverman 11:06 21 Oct 03

I was under the impression, according to other threads posted in recent times, that AOL were going to address this problem. Over the weekend I e-mailed my son, who is with AOL, and he has never received it. Not the first time this has happened with him, or with other contacts who are with AOL. Nothing in the subject lines should have given any cause for the e-mails to be blocked.

anchor 09:50 05 Nov 03

Does anyone know what British ISP`s are currently being blocked by AOL?.

The Lights Are On 10:08 05 Nov 03

My BT mail & Hotmail get through & back to a friend on AOL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…