AOL users can know use outlook -yippee!

holly polly 20:13 27 Jan 04

new hot gossip brand new ,can send and recieve email via outlook goto -KEYWORD IMAP
regards -hol pol...

holly polly 21:02 27 Jan 04

can confirm it works!

Djohn 22:01 27 Jan 04

Excellent news Holl-Poll. I was aware of it coming in the early part of this year, but as you know I've been out of touch with AOL for the past 4 months.

Can you use it from the AOL email or instead of and through the IE6 browser?

Regards. j.

holly polly 22:09 27 Jan 04

just open outlook up send and recieve from there ie6 works through also ,though one thing thats is annoying is you get the -"you have email " warning ,still have to have aol browser running in background(i think)will do some research and let you know -regards-hol pol....

holly polly 22:38 27 Jan 04

bump

ton 01:01 28 Jan 04

Excellent news, thanks holly polly.

hugh-265156 01:03 28 Jan 04

ignore me.for my postings ta.

holly polly 16:29 28 Jan 04

bump again

holly polly 16:39 28 Jan 04

further update sending and recieving of mail through IE works fine ,until aol lets you connect without running their browser in the background it will always be diffrent ,anyone know how i disable the you have email option in aol outlook is my default mail client ,but can still retrieve mail on aol browser ,would like to disable and get mail just through ie6-regards-hol pol...

Djohn 17:01 28 Jan 04

Hi Holl-Poll, now I'm not absolutely sure of this, but I have read that you can now use AOL without installing their software. If this is correct you will be able to log on to AOL without the AOL desktop and associated programs being on your screen.

This will mean that you no longer receive your email direct from the AOL window. In fact it would not be there to start with! [The window that is.]

I think this involves un-installing the software, then using the dial-up connection to get you connected via AOL, just as you would with any other ISP. IE: you click on the IE Icon and IE6 or browser of your choice will open with a small dial-in window which you will then click on to connect to the internet.

This will connect you to AOL as your ISP, but none of the associated AOL desktop or applications will be available.

In theory this as always been possible if you were able to obtain the AOL configuration details to set up a connection, but as you and others will know, AOL have always kept this information a closely guarded secret. I don't know why, because in America you have had this choice for many years.

A phone call to the Tech. dept. may help, if not then look for further info. on the US sites regarding this.

Djohn 17:11 28 Jan 04

click here Read these 5 or 6 post. They seam to confirm it can be done. Also type into google the words.

Using AOL without software

This will bring up many links for you to scroll through.

Good luck, let us know how you get on. By the way, are you aware that you can use the American versions of AOL's browsers, I tried one or two myself last year and they are far more stable and user friendly than ours. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac