AOL Upgrade & Internet problem.

Sky Gazer. 04:13 06 Oct 03

I have windows XP and running AOL version 6 software. A while ago my Computer would not connect to the Internet and it seemed to be related to Norton AntiVirus saying it had discovered a malicious script. This I assume was dealt with as I clicked on Norton to stop it from "running". However I was only able to access internet on AOL 6 with another AOL icon and not the original I had been using on my desk top. Which is still the situation now so I wondered if the malicious script had affected AOL 6.

Anyway I installed AOL 8 a few days ago with no problems but when it came to setting my connection for it to find my Modem - I had problems and a message came up saying my computer was being shut down so it doesn't get damaged - my computer then shut down and I had to reboot and the same problem keeps happening so I cant access the internet with AOL 8.

Can anyone help? I am a novice at this sort of thing! Thanks...

goonerbill 09:05 06 Oct 03

am running AOL8 on winXP with nortons systemworks and all is ok.

only thing i can think off is the NAV is effecting the install. turn off NAV and remove all installations of AOL, REBOOT and check that NAV is still off and then re-install AOL8.

good luck

graham√ 09:19 06 Oct 03

Go to Start, Search, All files and folders, 'Global.Org', delete all those. This is where AOL sticks old stuff. Don't worry, you don't need them.

JIM 10:51 06 Oct 03

my post is in no way conflicting with suggestions from goonerbill and graham, just an extension on my thinking :)

I take it your system is running a.ok, bar the problems with Aol? and you have enough memory and hardrive space avaiable?

i would suggest that you start from a clear playing field and decide what version of AOL you want to run.If your AOL 6.0 software is not version 4111.50 then it will not be 100%compatible with WIN XP and you still may have problems.

I would not recommend running AOL6 with win xp. Also running two different versions of Aol will leave you open to corruption of files.

I would completely uninstall all AOL software and let the uninstall leave a copy of the PFC folder on your desktop to copy and paste later.
Aol 8 does have the most avaiable upto date drivers to install your modem and the auto setup for all network connections in Aol 8 should go smoothly if not having to compete with other versions.

Just make sure you select the right option for installation, when prompted on screen.Disable or end task any running programs before putting your Aol cd in drive before installation.

The malicious script may have been a AOL download file to upgrade its software as you were running AOL 6.

Sky Gazer. 22:14 06 Oct 03

Thanks everyone for your replies - I will follow those through in the next few days.

I think you are right regarding the malicious script Jim being an AOL download file, as AOL 6 seems to have been the only problem it caused.

And as it is not 100% compatible with winXP I will just have AOL 8.

By the way I have the free ZoneAlarm version 3 firewall do I need to do anything with that - prior to installing AOL 8 again?

I have no other problems on my system and plenty of hard drive space - I do a weekly virus scan and update and all is fine. Plus I defragment disk on a regular basis so it is only AOL 6 I have had probs with!

Anyway, thanks for all your helpful advice - that's great. I'll let you know how I get on.

JIM 23:14 06 Oct 03

Zone Alarm 3.0

Steps to Adjust Your Firewall Access Controls

The following steps will modify your firewall security to allow AOL to work with your firewall software and connect to the AOL service without reducing your security level in respect of other types of software.

1. Right-click on the Zone Alarm icon in the System Tray or if the icon is not present, run the program from the Start menu.

2. Click on Zone Alarm Control Centre.

3. Locate and click on the Firewall button.

4. Drop the Internet Settings from high to medium via the slider bar.

5. Locate and click on the Program button.

6. Locate WAOL.EXE, then right-click on Remove.

7. Restart AOL and when Zone Alarm asks to give it access, click Yes.

JIM 23:26 06 Oct 03

Also.

Before you start the AOL Setup program, it is strongly recommended that you exit all other programs that may be running, including shareware and freeware. Otherwise, you may not be able to install the AOL 8.0 software or AOL Setup may be unable to detect your connection devices such as a modem.

Sky Gazer. 04:43 14 Oct 03

Thanks so much. All of the advice has been great and I have no problems with Internet access....

Super folks....thanks again *smile*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…