AOL Spyware

micklemouse 13:58 14 Feb 06

I have searched in the Helproom and found that some folks are having the same problem as me; my AOL Spyware keeps telling me it has found and Advanced Keylogger and has blocked it. This nuisance began when I played around with Blinklist, yet I also have McaFee antivirus, ZoneAlarm firewall (free), Microsoft Antispyware, SpywareBlaster, AdAware SE Personal and SpySweeper. And none of these securities have detected any keylogger, advanced or otherwise. Is this a bug in the AOL Spyware protection do you think? And in the meantime until it's corrected, would I be wise to rely on the security (if it is secure) of something like Roboform?

Regards Micklemouse

Coff 14:22 14 Feb 06

It's a false positive. It's identifying a SpywareBlaster registry key as being bad (also one from EULAyzer.) If you delete the keys, they are recreated anyway next time you run the programs.

AOL will probably sort it out in their next update.

(AOL Spyware is based on PestPatrol. PestPatrol is known for it's false positives so it's a good idea to check on google before deleting anything it finds.)

micklemouse 14:38 14 Feb 06

thanks Coff, I think it's identifying other antispyware registry keys on my computer as spware too, because I only installed SpywareBlaster yesterday as added prevention - to no avail! AOL Spyware was finding this so-called "keylogger" before then, and still is.

So should I just ignore it? and what about the Roboform toolbar? I have read on reliable websites that keyloggers are due to increase rapidly over the coming months and like all innocent users of passwords and user IDs I need to keep all my info secure and private. But is Roboform up to the job..

Coff 15:31 14 Feb 06

You can ignore it and it should be resolved on a future update.

As for the Roboform toolbar, sorry, I'm not familiar with it so can't say.

Coff 16:36 14 Feb 06

I did a bit more digging. If you have software protected by the Armadillo Software Protection System then AOL is flagging some of these registry keys as being part of Advanced Keylogger.

Armadillo is used, I think, to prevent you reinstalling programs and getting a new trial period after the original has expired so it's likely you have a few of these keys in your registry.

You can see these keys with this click here

Don't delete anything and just wait for AOL (PestPatrol) to update their definitions.

Angry Kid 22:11 14 Feb 06

^ for my records

CurlyWhirly 23:20 14 Feb 06

I used to run AOL Spyware Protection but I uninstalled it after only a few days as I was fed up of all the false positives.

I have been using Microsoft Anti-Spyware and am very pleased with it and I intend to upgrade to the Windows Defender BETA 2 version soon.

micklemouse 08:48 15 Feb 06

thanks everyone; I agree with CurlyWhirly on the Defender software and will upgrade to that too. God knows, I've surely got enough protection on this computer haven't I? it's weighed down with it lol. And the news about the reinstallation, Coff,, I also reinstalled some software recently with an evaluation version.. so I think between us we've sussed out the problem. I shall wait for an update to AOL Spyware, ignore the keylogger (but not delete it) and upgrade to Windows Defender from Antispyware.

And just in case the computer crashes, I'm going to emigrate. End of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…