Aol Silver afficionados?

Diemmess 09:25 08 Mar 06

Have been using Aol BB for 18 months
Originally Gold, I downgraded to Silver when its speed doubled to 500K.

Since then Silver has doubled again(for ordinary mortals) but not me!

Live Help assured me that I am on 1000K now, but the "About Aol.. and press Control + Y" shows still only the high end of 400K

The 0870 tech agent said reinistall the Voyager drivers WHILE ONLINE.

I have tried that as well as offline, uninstall/reinstall, and every other which way..... still on 448000 at best.

The Voyager 105 status, gives me a green light for just over 2G so the background is in place.
Has anyone shared this sort of carry-on and found a solution?

Diemmess 15:16 08 Mar 06

^

micklemouse 16:10 08 Mar 06

You've got me worried now. I too have AOL Silver broadband, and when I put the mouse over the green arrows of the Voyager 105 status icon, I see the figures Tx: 288kbs and Rx: 1152kbs. Is this what it's supposed to be reading? My computer has been chugging along (just) of late..

stlucia 16:38 08 Mar 06

I'm on AOL gold, with a Voyager 100 modem. My figures are also 288 and 1152 when I hover over the arrows. That's the same as they were when I was temporarily on a slower connection due to driver problems, so I presume they simply mean that's what the modem can achieve -- not what connection you're actually on.

wobblymike 16:39 08 Mar 06

Guys - hope this helps
I have just helped a neighbour to fix exactly this problem - although not with AOL, he had been upgraded to 1MB but was still only getting a downstream speed of 512K. On his system his sky tv plugged into his telephone line via an extension socket in the living room - by fitting an adsl filter to this we fixed his broadband speed problem.

Diemmess 17:32 08 Mar 06

I never was any good at "putting and taking away" anyway but- 8bits = 1byte. A baud is possibly the same as a a bit or as a hexadecimal
character.........Whatever! I think I am not alone in being sold a figure which looks a lot more impressive than it is!

Have tried more probing around including removing Voyager 105 software and doing a "New" install. At least that disposed of the problems following Aol-India's advice to install dowloaded drivers while online.

So today I had another 0870 call for about 10 minutes with an agent who got me to download and run a familiar speed checker. (A bit difficult to type in the "ftp" when his phoenetics were fine-tin-Peter)

He was convinced that I was getting the full 1Gbps not half that! Arithmetic time again.
(Michelmouse)- my figures are Tx 288 Rx 2272

To simplify for others--- a basic home test.

From signed in, choose Help from the top line.
Choose About Aol
Type Control+Y and ..... lucky me I get 450502.
My daughter (on Gold) gets 729844 only, and I've yet to ask my son after work for the clincher, because he is on Silver too and I expect his result will be close to mine.

My apology for upsetting anyone it may all be down to how we interpret the numbers.

Angry Kid 19:19 08 Mar 06

I am running AOL Gold and have just done the Control +"Y" thing and got 755470.

Angry ;)

SLAYER 19:32 08 Mar 06

I followed the diemmess basic home test,when I click on the about AOL I just get a list of patents and stuff.nowhere to type control+y.What am I doing wrong folks.

SLAYER 19:33 08 Mar 06

sorted.

Diemmess 19:46 08 Mar 06

Angry Kid your "Control + Y thing" more or less corresponds with my daughter's Gold at < 800k

My son on Silver was very close to me at 450K just.

It seems I should just have trusted Aol to have upgraded me automatically, but honestly which numbers do you have to believe.

I'm sold a 1G connection presumbably bps, but in the end the rate of downloading a file is usually between 61 and 68 per second.
That is what gives me difficulty in connecting the figures to the vaunted 1G
:o)

Diemmess 20:06 08 Mar 06

Act of faith!
With "About Aol" showing, you don't type it anywhere except the Control+Y command on your keyboard and Lo.... it appears on top as another little window... Magic, but don't tell anyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…