AOL Safety and Security Center

guesswho2 12:49 01 Mar 07

Does anyone have any comment to make, or experience with, the AOL security package?

Kaacee 20:10 01 Mar 07

IMHO you are better off using the various free security programmes available, AOL stuff seems to miss quite a lot of nasties that the others don't.

Other members may be of a different view.

guesswho2 20:26 01 Mar 07

Thanks for that Gudlucker. Judging by the number of replies I guess not many people have used it!

SB23 20:48 01 Mar 07

I have used them in the past, but although I use and like Aol, I found that the additional programs that they offered started to slow my pc. So off they came.

Steve

guesswho2 21:19 01 Mar 07

Thanks SB23.

Miros 22:01 01 Mar 07

I use and like AOL as a server it's great, but all the bells , whistles and distractions that come with it get up my nose, so like others have said, I use the various alternative free security programs.

ashdav 00:10 02 Mar 07

I would agree with Miros. The AOL service is good. Consistent speeds,virtually no contention but their software is bad.
I recommend you don't use any of it.
Zonealarm for the firewall
AVG for antivirus
Spybot and Spywareblaster for malware (make sure you update regularly)
Firefox for your browser
Didn't have a problem in 3yrs with this.
Using Linux now so most of the above doesn't apply

guesswho2 09:03 03 Mar 07

Thanks Miros and ashdav for your comments. Actually ashdav I use more or less what you have in the malware department. I'm really trying to find out if there is a free "all-in" package of anti-virus/spy stuff to recommend to my daughter who, as a busy working woman, can't be expected to keep lots of separate things up to date manually.

Miros 10:32 03 Mar 07

" as a busy working woman, can't be expected to keep lots of separate things up to date manually.

She will have to update on a regular basis as a lot of these programs are only as good as their last update, and if not done could let her down.
That is of course some one can recommend an 'all in one' program which I doubt.

Miros 10:34 03 Mar 07

Correction. That is of course UNLESS some one can recommend an 'all in one' program which I doubt.

ashdav 01:00 04 Mar 07

Zonealarm doesn't really need to update.
AVG will update itself each day.
Spybot and Spywareblaster only need to be updated once a week and it takes 1 minute to do the two.
Firefox will update itself.
It's all free.
If your friend can't be bothered to put aside 1 minute a week then get them to go buy Norton and suffer the consequences.
Sorry if I sound cynical but really ....!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…