AOL running, Internet Explorer won't work

masonman1939 15:18 26 Jan 04

This is a repost from last week,when I was unable to resolve this problem. Surely someone on this site can provide guidance!!!
A friend recently installed aol broadband. He had been a user previously using dial up and was totally happy. AOL works perfectly for him, but since the broadband installation he finds that he cannot use Internet explorer at all. He opens aol, minimises it, and then clicks on IE. When he was on dialup that was all that he had to do to run IE. Since broadband was installed he goes through the same procedure and he gets a browser window but it never goes anywhere and eventually produces 'server not found' etc. Windows ME is the os and it has been reloaded. Aol has been removed and reinstalled, as has the modem -BT voyager. Since AOL uses IE6 to work I guess that IE is okay. No firewall is enabled, no virus scan is running. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

Djohn 15:32 26 Jan 04

Until recently, I was with AOL + Broadband and can confirm that the two will work together. Same modem as well. Although this doesn't answer your question directly, at least you know it should work.

Have you been into the options of IE and lowered the security settings to medium? I know this is basic, but need to start somewhere. j.

masonman1939 15:56 26 Jan 04

Thanks for the advice. Yes, privacy is set low as is parental controls.

Djohn 16:23 26 Jan 04

The next thing I would try is deleting the temp. internet files both from within AOL and also IE itself. If you've already tried this, as I suspect you may have, then the problem may well be IE6 itself, (Corrupt file/s) try a repair or reinstall of IE6. In XP this can be done from control panel, add/remove, I think it may be the same with ME. j.

masonman1939 06:45 27 Jan 04

Thanks again, yes we deleted all temps without success. Unfortunately ME will not let you repair IE. We did a reload of windows ME, but i suspect that that doesn't renew all files. I really do not want to be forced into a full clean reload of windows.

Cog Neato 07:06 27 Jan 04

I'm on AOL8 BB with Windows ME using IE6 and all is OK but not sure what you mean "ME will not let you repair IE".

If I go to Control Panel> Add/Remove, on Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SPI and Internet Tools I then get 3 options:

1/ Add a component.

2/ Repair IE.

3/ Restore previous configuration.

Are you saying you do not get these options or when you select Repair it does not in fact carry out a repair?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…