AOL router/modem and Vista

Mabinogion 00:57 15 Mar 07

Hello
I have been all afternoon trying to set up my friends new Medion Laptop (Vista) and just can't do it.
We followed the instructions to install the 'wireless router/modem' they sent from AOL and fixed it up to the main desktop pc (XP) (which is not wireless enabled) in the bedroom with the ethernet cable so everything worked ok there ~ so when it came to the part where we had to put in a name for the network we did that then the password for security and so on, so when we put the Medion Laptop on and tried to connect it came up with two networks it had detected the one we named and also someone elses in the area a BT one so we tried to connect to our one and it asked us for the password so we put in the one we named for the security side of things and it tried to connect but came up with 'Connection taking longer than expected' then it came up 'Unsuccessful Connection' and said something about a WEP key so what do we have to do? I tried phoning AOL but it was just useless and could only get to talk to a member of their sales team who really didn't know much so tried again with someone else and this chappy told us that Windows Vista had to have some software installed with a 9.RVO1 CD Rom and would send us one but on looking it was on the desktop of the new laptop so just clicked on it and it started to install so we went through the same procedure and still the same it just said 'Connected to' but 'Limited Access' and the signal strength was full and everything seemed to be ok but just couldn't get it to connect so in the end we put the modem router to the laptop via the ethernet cable just to see if it was working ok which it was, but at home I am on Orange and my desktop is not wireless enabled but my laptop downatairs is and I had no problems at all connecting to the Orange Livebox but maybe it's the windows Vista do you think? so any idieas please?
Thanks

User-312386 01:27 15 Mar 07
  Mabinogion 01:36 15 Mar 07

Hi
Thanks for the info above but as I mentioned in the message I posted we downloaded the new version of AOL as it was already on the new laptop it just had to be installed which we did but still not sure what or how to connect, the network was named and it was recognised but it says 'Limited Access'so what does that mean do you think, the router AOL sent is the DG something or other.
Thanks

rdave13 13:14 16 Mar 07

Maybe this will help click here

skidzy 14:24 16 Mar 07

Can you confirm if the router is connected to the desktop..you can go online ?

If so,try using windows Wireless setup in Control Panel.You will need a usb Flash/pen drive.This will collect all settings from the host pc (desktop in this case) you will be then prompted to insert the Flash drive to the laptop.Now all the required settings have been transferred,you may need to enter the Wep/Wpa encryption key.
This can be found by in the wireless settings under security.

Mabinogion 01:56 25 Nov 07

Everything ok now and I forgot to mention it on here so felt it was only curtious to say thanks for the suggestions, but apparently aol wasn't able to advise me on the settings and configurations as they said because Vista was so new they hadn't been trained up to be able to advise their customers on how to set up their modems etc but we did it through IE and not through their aol log in page as they wanted us to do at first, but everything ok now.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…