AOL Problems - 619

albertpalbert 09:09 20 Jan 05

Since Tuesday I have encountered problems using AOL Broadband. With the assistance of AOL Technical Support I discovered that I was getting Error Message 619. We uninstalled the software and reinstalled and also took off TCP/IP and then added again. I still encounter the same problem. It begins to dial and hangs when saying connecting to AOL network via DSL.

Diemmess 12:21 20 Jan 05

619 is probably Aol's own error message, and I'm afraid means nothing to me.

If you are at the sign-on screen and both arrows on the task bar are dark green then try -

'Sign on options' and choose 'Expert setup'.......Then choose 'Add location'

Give it a name ("Home 2" say) and see what follows. The answer is in that region somewhere. ....... If desperate you could try 'Add a Modem' but try the location routine first.

Sometimes the human support is a little underexperienced or unenthusiastic! I think sometimes they pick an idea and just read from a prompt sheet.

albertpalbert 13:16 20 Jan 05

I will try this. I could look at putting AOL8 back on the machine as it requires less Ram. I have folders of pictures I need to get off the machine before it dies.

Diemmess 13:38 20 Jan 05

Thanks for this. I have been running AOL 9 which requires 128MB Ram on a PC which only has 64MB Ram. This has worked ok in the past but perhaps it needs more. The PC is certainly noteably slow at start up. AOL chap suggested a defrag which I did but it still does not want to play ball.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before you do anything too drastic, do try those suggestions. Certainly your computer's spec. is marginal, but it DID work up to last Tuesday!
.........I have occasionally had difficulty on signing on, but usually after a session where something has stalled, and I have had to shut down while still online.

Even modest extra RAM would help many things though NOT affect your present problem...........
Internet accesss apart, slow running suggests it is time for some brisk housekeeping.

Run MSCONFIG and make sure nothing that isn't absolutely essential, is running at Startup....If you are not already using it,run the freebie CClean, and make sure you are up to date with anti-virus, anti-adware, and a firewal, all of them up to date.

buscrew 13:42 20 Jan 05

error 619 = The Port is disconnected

albertpalbert 14:21 20 Jan 05

Thanks for all your comments. I actually closed down anti-virus and firewall because I thought this may be affecting it.

Buscrew - do you know how may I reconnect the port?

Diemmess 15:16 20 Jan 05

You learn something every..........(619)

Do try the add location routine I described. This in effect makes Aol look again for your BB modem.

buscrew 16:22 20 Jan 05

But click here for a useful site to identify error codes. As I am unable to get broadband I am not familiar with the problems, I posted the error message in the hope that someone more familiar with it may post more help

albertpalbert 21:05 20 Jan 05

Chaps

Uninstalled AOL9 and reverted to AOL8. Working again now but will certainly look at cleaning up as much as possible. Many thanks for for your help - an excellent website for people with pc problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…