AOL problem - TCP error

FootyDave 22:54 10 Dec 04

A friend of mine is having a complete nightmare with AOL. He was quite happy using AOL 7.0, but upgraded to version 9.0, then couldn't access the internet. His O/S is Windows XP.

AOL haven't solved the problem, and after long discussions with AOL and Dell, he's given up. So I've attempted to take over and help.

My friend told that after many hours of phone calls, AOL had recommended going back to AOL 7, so that's what I started. I attempted to dial in, then got the message 'The connection failed because the remote system refused the TCP link'.

AOL had said the modem was inadequate (which I find hard to believe), but it is conceivable that the drivers need updating.

Ultimately I suspect I will try to get him to move another ISP, but I need to ask three questions.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do with AOL?
2. If I was to uninstall AOL versions, is this a straightforward process?
2. Does this error sound serious? Will he even be able to use another ISP?

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
Dave.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 23:00 10 Dec 04

There seems to be a lot of similar issues click here
where the problems have sometimes been rectified. A lot to read I know, but maybe necessary.

scousehow 15:23 11 Dec 04

Hi footy Dave,
I don't Know if this helps ihave aol9 and had to reinstall it, unistalled without any trouble atall reistall was straight forward hope this helps

FootyDave 20:11 13 Dec 04

Thanks guys.

JaßîsFaß - have had a look at that massive thread and there is plenty of info (and problems!).

My favoured route is to bin AOL for him, but I might not try that just yet!

Cheers,
dave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…