Have you carried out the hyperterminal test?
If you don't have Hyperterminal installed on your system?
1. Go to Control Panel.
2. Double click on the Add/Remove Program control panel.
3. Click on the Windows Setup tab.
4. Double click on Communications.
5. In the window that comes, there should be a line which says HyperTerminal. Put a check in the box in front of it, if there isn't already one.
6. Click on OK
7. Click on OK again.
8. If it prompts for the Windows OS CD, then you need to have it in order to grab the program from there.
To carry out Hyperterminal Test goto Start> Run> type -- hypertrm
At connection description??..type -- test
enter Telephone number 0808 990 9000 and from there you will see results and know that your modem is working OK, or not.