AOL problem!

wotbus@ 13:30 14 Jul 06

Request help from AOL users:
My friend has a problem with his PC after his son's pal, ummmmm, "did something..." ;-)
Normally they log on using AOL9, and surf from within their AOL page. The problem is - they cannot get connected to any web pages.
Opening I.E. and surfing is OK, so I deduced it must be a "settings" problem with AOL but I can find nothing untoward. I am not too familiar with AOL and clicking any of links to Assistance etc results in the same "cannot find page" message.
Any advice welcome and thanks in advance.

goonerbill © ® 14:16 14 Jul 06

this may work but its worth a try. go into control panel, open add/remove programs, click on AOL connectivity services and click on change/remove. a box will open and there are 2 options, choose the repair option.

if that dont work, its a clean install unless someone else knows what else to try.

wotbus@ 17:09 14 Jul 06

Thanks goonerbill © ®. I will pass the info on and post if successful. Cheers.

SB23 17:16 14 Jul 06

Member Services Team

Although some may disagree, when I've ever had to ring for help, they've always been helpful, and usually can help reconnect you.

If all else fails give them a try.

wotbus@ 17:22 14 Jul 06

Thanks SB23 for the advice.

wolfie3000 17:30 14 Jul 06

This might work

Rebuild your aol adaptor

Click start then all programs then aol then click aol system information then click on the utilities tab then click on rebuild aol adaptor.

Hope this helps

wotbus@ 17:38 14 Jul 06

Thanks also to you wolfie3000.

MickinPlymouthUK 17:39 14 Jul 06

I'm on AOL and had the same problem a while back and contacted their keyword "Live Help" and they sent the following mail which I had a fumbling attempt at and must have somehow muddled through, or else the problem cleared up on its own, I'm not sure -

QUESTION FROM ME TO AOL - Hi,I can't surf anymore because when i try to connect to most sites i get the message "page not available,try adjusting your browser settings" How do i do that?I don't even know what browser settings are!

ANSWER -Chatagentuk070: Heres a list of suggestions to print and try ... The problem that you are experiencing can be caused by a number of factors. This will involve taking a number of steps to fix the problem so please print this guide to help you resolve this issue. A. Clear the Browser Cache/Temporary Internet Files Windows 95/98/ME/2000 To clear the Browser Cache simply do the following: 1. Close AOL 2. Click on Start -> Programs -> AOL -> AOL System Information. 3. From the System Information window

Chatagentuk070: click on the Utilities tab and now click on Clear Browser Cache. 4. Close the AOL System Information window

Chatagentuk070: C. Close third party software in the task list and try again. To close background Windows 95/98/ME Hold down the Control (CTRL and the ALT key together. Now while holding these press once (and once only) the DELETE key. This will open a window called 'Close Program'. It is a list of everything presently running on the PC. To close a program you must Highlight it and click on 'End Task' at the bottom. This will only close that program so you must continue this process until all that is left running is

Chatagentuk070: : AOL , AOL TRAY , SYSTRAY , EXPLORER Note* Please allow several seconds between each CTRL + ALT + Delete to prevent the computer from restarting.

Chatagentuk070: D. Delete the AOL Adaptor Windows 95/98/ME 1. Click on Start -> Programs -> AOL -> System Information Tool. 2. Click on the Utilities tab. 3. Now click on Uninstall AOL Adaptor. 4. You'll be asked to reboot the PC. 5. Select Yes when asked to restart the computer. 6. The next time AOL is launched, a new AOL Adapter will be created and you will need to reboot your PC again when prompted. When the PC has rebooted follow these steps. 1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel. Now

Chatagentuk070: double click on the Network icon and double click on TCP/IP=>AOL Adaptor. 2. Choose the Wins Configuration tab and make sure the option to Disable Wins Resolution is set. 3. Choose the DNS Configuration tab and make sure the option to Disable DNS is set. 4. Choose the IP ADDRESS Tab and make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected. 5. Click OK. 6. Click OK again. You will need to restart your PC again. Once the computer has rebooted connect to AOL and try viewing web

Chatagentuk070: page again. Delete the AOL Adaptor -> Windows 2000/XP Delete the AOL AOL Adaptor using the Sytem Information Tool 1. Click on Start -> Programs/All Programs ->AOL -> System Information Tool. 2. Click on the Utilities tab. 3. Now click on Uninstall AOL Adaptor. 4. You'll be asked to reboot the PC. 5. Select Yes when asked to restart the computer. 6. The next time AOL is launched, a new AOL Adapter will be created and your PC will have to reboot again. 7. Once the computer has

Chatagentuk070: rebooted connect to AOL and try viewing web pages now.
Chatagentuk070: E. Repair Internet Explorer Windows 95/98/ME/2000 1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel. 2. Double click on Add/Remove Programs. 3. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 and tools from the list. 4. Now click on Add/Remove or Change/Remove. 5. This will bring up an options screen and in here choose the Repair option and click OK. 6. Follow the repair process and when prompted restart your computer

wotbus@ 17:42 14 Jul 06

Wow - I hope you copy/pasted that lot. Thanks very much for the info.

SB23 17:46 14 Jul 06

Another one I've used, go to add/remove programs, find Aol Connectivity Services, click on change/remove, click on repair, then ok. I'll do its thing, hey presto. It works for me.

Steve

wotbus@ 17:52 14 Jul 06

Great. I have all the advice on a print-out and will go tomorrow to see if I can help.
Thanks one and all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced