AOL and Outpost firewall problem

pj123 14:57 28 Sep 04

My friend is on AOL dialup (soon to go on AOL BB) and has Outpost firewall installed. Every time he logs on to AOL outpost comes up with ie3. proxy.aol.com What is this. He has asked AOL to provide an answer but it didn't work. Can someone tell me what ie3. proxy.aol.com is? I have put spaces in to stop a link. Do we allow it or not?

Djohn 15:15 28 Sep 04

click here Hope it is of help Pete.

The problem is only partially AOL. Yes other people do encounter this problem, but most do not. The problem is more a Windows issue with a corrupted WINSOCK.

Try the following:
The following information will assist you in extracting the proper Wsock32.DLLfile from your Windows CD. This file is necessary in order for the America Online software to make a working, 32 bit connection to the Internet.

pj123 15:25 28 Sep 04

John, that is almost exactly what AOL said. But it didn't work. Everytime he logs on up pops Outpost to say "do we want to allow this connection" We have tried "Allow Once", and we have tried "allow all the time" but it still comes up every time. The only way round it is to shutdown Outpost but that means he has no firewall protection.

muscic lover 17:09 28 Sep 04

I personally used AOL in the past. I am sooooooo Very pleased to have dumped them as my ISP! It caused me nothing but trouble....

Try another call to the free helpline (if you can get the blighters to answer the damn phone) and tell them the 'fix' doesnt work....

Good luck with it! (I'd still dump AOL!!!!.. Personally!)

pj123 15:07 30 Oct 04

This problem appears to be solved now as he is now on Broadband. Outpost appears to be behaving itself.

I will tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…