AOL and outlook express - not the usual prob!

smudge69 10:05 29 Jun 06

Hi all,
I have a client who uses AOL as their ISP. They also have a registered domain name independent of AOL. we'll call it dogs.com as an example. I'm having problems sending email from outlook express using this domain name. Receiving mail is fine. i have set it up in the usual way and adjusted port numbers for AOL,etc. and it receives mail to each address e.g. [email protected] just fine. Sending email is a different matter though and i can't get to the bottom of it. i have set the outgoing mail server as smtp.uk.aol.com. which i believe is the correct thing to do?
i get the following error message from outlook when i hit send/receive..(hopefully the image will appear below...

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

i hope this makes sense, can anyone help please?
thanks!

brundle 10:09 29 Jun 06

Could be an anti-spam measure
click here

brundle 10:11 29 Jun 06

try a smtp server running off their own machine
click here

Snec 17:57 29 Jun 06

No, you need to set up the outgoing server as smtp.dogs.com

Trouble is though, AOL do not make it easy to use port 25 for anything else other than AOL. They are not alone in this as many people have a problem sending from another smtp address, other than teir own ISP.

I'm with AOL and have a seperate POP3/SMTP account and it does work but sending will sometimes take two or three attempts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…