AOL Network

Stuarthouston 23:17 12 Dec 04

I have aol 750k broadband. It uses a cable modem supplied by NTL. I am wondering how to network this connection. I know it is possible with NTL broadband through the same modem as i have, but AOL give no support about networking to NTL customers. Has anyone managed to network this type of connection?
Any help would be appreciated.
-Stu

TomJerry 23:23 12 Dec 04

?

Stuarthouston 23:29 12 Dec 04

I want to network 3 computers together through a router. To enable me to share the broadband connection between the computers.

pharte 23:31 12 Dec 04

I am confused that ntl would supply aol I do not think this is possible as aol only supply for themselves.

If you are on aol you need to upgrade to aol gold to enable you to network as the lower tarriffs will only allow one connection at a time.

You will also need to use only the specified modems as the unspecified ones will not work with msn messenger and some other programmes so it is as easy to do as you are told.

aol are very good on helplines but only on approved equipment

TomJerry 23:36 12 Dec 04

^

Stuarthouston 23:37 12 Dec 04

To clarify i am on AOL gold. And when i signed up for it, because my area isn't bt broadband enabled, they said the best bet was to go through ntl.
My contract is with AOL, but i use NTL cables, (co-ax i beleive) and the NTL home 120 cable modem. I still access the internet through my AOL browser and screennames.
This was all organised through AOL, and they give support for everything apart from networking, even thought the hardware is capable of it.

Stuarthouston 23:38 12 Dec 04

I am on aol. Wired would be preferred.

TomJerry 23:50 12 Dec 04

NTL model connect to router (uplink) and all PC connect to router (downlinks).

Ebuyer 4 Port 10/100M Internet Broadband Router with USB Printer Server £14.09 click here

you need cat5 network cable, you can get from ebuyer, different length different prince, 5m round 3 pounds.

If you do not have network connection in each PC, you need to fit a PCI network adaptor card Ebuyer 10/100 Network Card with wake on Lan £3.52 click here

if you have network connection in each PC, it will take you 10 minutes to set up, if you need to fi network card, it will take you about 30 minutes.

Stuarthouston 23:54 12 Dec 04

Thanks alot TomJerry. I'll try it your way.

Djohn 23:59 12 Dec 04

I'm not quite sure of the way it's done but one has always been able to network with AOL just that AOL did not offer advice on how to set up. My B- in -Law had his three PC's networked through AOL three years back and it was done with a standard router. Any router will do the job.

Three years back and probably earlier than that the only stipulation was that the username you used had to be less than 8 characters in length. Now that AOL officially support networking it may be even easier.

There are quite a few AOl members of the forum and I'm sure some have networked their PC's without using AOL hardware. They will advise on seeing your thread.

TomJerry 00:04 13 Dec 04

even AOL organised it, but NTL actually provide service

NTL noproblem: "What can you say! It works perfect. It wasnt quite plug and play I had to register it with NTL but this can be done online and youre allowed five computers to be registered. When connecting to NTL make sure you downpower your set top box as for some reason you always have to do this when switching MAC addresses. I now have 2 laptops and a desktop machine all online and all networked (win98 & win2k)"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…