AOL IP addresses

Geezerbloke 00:14 29 Apr 05

I am a UK resident and have a broadband connection via AOL.UK but it gives me a US IP address which causes problems when trying to access some UK only sites.

pat-212841 07:41 29 Apr 05

Have you tried calling AOL ? they be able to help you .its a free call .

CurlyWhirly 11:44 29 Apr 05

How is that then as I thought that your real AOL IP address was masked behind their proxy servers?

pk470 14:34 29 Apr 05

Click on the AOL icon as you do for log on when it opens click on set up then expert add then select type connection device select AOL UK.
Unable to answer why it should have changed to AOL USA.

Geezerbloke 15:02 29 Apr 05

Tried calling AOL helpdesk but I don't think they understood the problem, they advised me to contact my PC vendor.
Tried pk470's suggestion and selected AOL UK broadband but it still gives me an IP address beginning 195.93.21 which according to several sources indicates that I'm in Brooklyn. I've looked out the window and it still looks like Essex to me.

pk470 16:46 29 Apr 05

Uninstall AOL modem and unplug on reboot do a search for AOL and delete these files reboot and reinstall the modem again,at a lose why your modem seems tobe set at USA,CHECK YOU HAVE NOT GOT A ROUGH DIALER ON YOUR COMPUTER.

Geezerbloke 18:59 29 Apr 05

Which files do I have to delete?

pk470 20:52 29 Apr 05

If you have uninstalled AOL there are always files left behind so all you do is type AOL into search it will find these files and just delete them.

Geezerbloke 15:27 30 Apr 05

Done all that, modem reinstalled OK but couldn't get AOL to load, kept wanting to load connection files then asking if I want to restsrt now or later if you don't restart AOL terminates then restarts and the same thing happens again. I have a small home network so I will see if I can get the modem/phone connection to one of the other PCs so I have an internet connection till I resolve the problem on the other PC.

Geezerbloke 15:53 30 Apr 05

As you can see by this message I'm up and running on the other PC new install of both adsl modem and Aol but my IP adress is still 195.93.21.xxx.
I'm beginning to think that it must be generated by the AOL server irrespective of your geographical location.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…