AOL illegal operation

pj123 20:56 29 Jul 03

I have just had a phone call from one of the people I teach saying when trying to log on to AOL now he gets a window "WAOL, this programme has performed an illegal operation and will close down." Anyone on AOL have any ideas please?

graham√ 21:03 29 Jul 03

Virus? See click here

Djohn 21:14 29 Jul 03

Hi Pete, as graham√ also WAOL can be caused by corrupt, "Global. org. files. Choose show all files and search for the above then delete. AOL will rebuild these files on re-boot. j.

pj123 21:29 29 Jul 03

Hopefully, shouldn't be a virus as AVG is installed and up to date. John where are these global.org files normally, In the aol folder? Don't forget I am not near this computer so I will have to phone him and explain what to do.

Mango Grummit 21:49 29 Jul 03

look in programmes/aol folder and there may also be one in the aol backup folder.

Delete them both.

Although with that message it can sort itself out on the second boot, mostly.

Djohn 22:13 29 Jul 03

I stopped for my dinner! Mango Grummit is correct though. Regards. j.

pj123 22:14 29 Jul 03

Thanks everyone, I have just managed to get through to the AOL helpdesk (good job their helpline is free). They advise "Repair Internet Explorer" That is Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programmes. Add/Remove ie5.5 and tools, choose repair and reboot.

I have passed this on so won't know the outcome till tomorrow now. Will let you know. Thanks for responses.

pj123 22:15 29 Jul 03

Hi John, you get fed as well???

pj123 15:55 30 Jul 03

Just heard from my friend. No go. AOL say they can't help any further except for a complete re-install of windows and AOL 8. So the PC is coming to me tomorrow evening. Thanks everyone, thread closed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…