AOL freezes whilst online

Universal Machine 23:54 20 Dec 03

Every time I am on the internet for a long time - download something AOL freezes up so I have to force it to close and then reboot the pc and then start all over again with the download. Can anyone help

Djohn 00:13 21 Dec 03

Couple of things to try.

1) do a search for global.org files and delete.AOL will rebuild the file for you when you log on. It may be that this back-up file is corrupt.

2) open the AOL desktop, but don't sign on. Go to the toolbar and click on settings/preferences/and then click on the Font/Text/Graphics link. You will see a small box with the number 40 in it. Reduce this to 5 save and exit back to the AOL desktop.

Close down the desktop and reboot your PC. bring up the AOL desktop again, but don't sign on. Do as in 2) above. This time reset the number to 40 save and exit back to the AOL desktop. Close down the desktop.

Open the AOL desktop again and this time sign on, you will see the graphics of the webpage rebuild as you log in. This should clear the freezing for you. If you still have a problem then please post back to this thread and someone will advise you further. j.

ahales42 00:21 21 Dec 03

wow Djohn. your advice has now been printed. how did you find that out?

Universal Machine 00:43 21 Dec 03

Re yr post no2 done already has no effect, just done the search for all global.org files, its come up with some. Which do I delete??

Djohn 00:51 21 Dec 03

AOL was my ISP for almost three years. Excellent ISP to be with and I would at times have several versions of 7, 8, and 9 installed.

Constant swapping between the different programs while testing would cause the occasional glitch. But soon fixed with the above methods, or if really sticky, then a quick re-install of software would put things right.

Also some of the "Hotfix's" from Microsoft will overwrite the settings in AOL's software, again a quick repair from the AOL CD [5 Minutes} will put things right again.

There is one "Hotfix" that sometimes needs removing from your control panel, but best not to if the above method works.

Regards. j.

Djohn 00:52 21 Dec 03

All of them, they will be rebuilt for you when you log on.

The GnoMe 11:07 23 Dec 03

did this help mik?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…