AOL Freeze

ensonricky 07:11 07 Feb 04

A work colleague of mine has a problem on his Win 98 Machine. When he exits AOL when online, he has version 8 and an internal 56K modem, his PC freezes. The only way he can start working again is to power down the computer. He was told that when he upgraded from AOL version 7 this would cure the problem which it did briefly but the problem has now returned. I have not had a chance to examine hs PC and have no experience of AOL so Iwondered if anyone out there had any suggestions as to a solution.

D-Frame 07:55 07 Feb 04

Could it be cuz of whats running in the background?

ensonricky 10:45 07 Feb 04

Bump

Diodorus Siculus 10:47 07 Feb 04

Try emptying the cache of temp files etc.

Upgrade to version 8 Plus click here

According to AOL, no such thing as Plus! They recommend upgrading the modem drivers.

ensonricky 12:12 07 Feb 04

Thanks everyone for your responses, i'll pass your suggestions on to my colleague on Monday. In the meanwhile I will keep the thread open.

Djohn 12:54 07 Feb 04

click here and try the 2 suggestions at 12:17 and 20:31 it may help. Also there is a windows update that sometimes causes the freezing of AOL, can't remember the update number but will look for it if [email protected]@m doesn't find it first. It will need to be removed from add/remove programs. j.

Djohn 13:11 07 Feb 04

Regarding my post above. The windows "Hotfix" that sometimes causes a freeze with AOL is SP2 Q 811493

If none of the above suggestions help, then remove this "Hotfix" and try again. j.

the kopite 21:48 07 Feb 04

ensonricky tell your mate to try aol system information and to clear browser cache and uninstall aol adapters then restart aol kopite

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…