AOL and firewalls

chub_tor 16:43 12 Oct 04

I tried to search this site because I am sure that this topic must have been covered before, but I couldn't get the search box to work.

A pal of mine who has a dial-up modem and subscribes to AOL and has a Dell machine with XP, was talking to me about Firewalls. He didn't know if his XP firewall was turned on. When I tried to look at Properties on his internet connection icon absolutely nothing happened. The connection also said that it was disconnected even though he could access AOL by clicking on the desktop AOl icon.

I have no experience of AOL so can someone advise me what's going on?

Thanks

chub_tor 17:00 12 Oct 04

Just realised I used the Search box on the top right of this page and not the one for Search the Archives on the left. I now have 500 pages to look at for AOL but so far have not seen one concerning the problem with checking the XP firewall status via Properties.

CHAIRLEG 22:50 12 Oct 04

Windows with sp2 loaded. Go to control panel double click firewall icon.

chub_tor 15:35 13 Oct 04

Chairleg, unfortunately he only has SP1 and I have yet to convince him that he should install SP2. The problem is still there to be resolved.

NickyK 15:53 13 Oct 04

This may not really help, but I encountered similar problems, and that was AFTER I had installed SP2. Even now, my McAfee protection turns itself off for no know reason and claims it doesn't exist. I simply go into the security section, go into options and tell the darn thing to bloody well turn itself back on Iexcuse my French). And then it's happy again. Your AOL chum is probably best advised simply to telephone AOL on their freephone helpline (or do it on AOL Live Help). When I did install SP2, I had to go into reconfigure my system to get the Mcafee working at all. According to my handwriten log, this was under Internet Applications/Application permissions. Basically, you allow what is unallowed. This might not help your friend, but he really is best off phoning them.

NickyK

Diemmess 15:57 13 Oct 04

Two lazy ways to try

Go online with AOL and in the keyword - help section type in - live help

This will get you in a chatroom with an Aol agent, and you can type away until you are directed to the solution.

Failing that you can use their 0800 helpline but since dialup and BB numbers differ you had better get the right number from the installed machine.

chub_tor 16:57 13 Oct 04

Thanks everyone, I have passed on your advice and sent him a copy of SP2. I don't think that we can help him any more on this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…