AOL firewall & AV. Any good ?

Indigo 1 18:41 01 Aug 04

I am working on a friends PC who has just installed AOL BB herself, previously when she was on Dial-Up I installed Avast AV for her and she used the XP built-in firewall.

AOL are now offering Mcaffee AV plus Firewall and Anti Spyware, I am not a big fan of McCaffee from previous bad experiences and have heard a lot from people with similar experiences so I feel it may be better to stick to Avast.

How good (or bad) is AOL's Firewall any recommendations ?

She has Adaware 6, SpyBot S&D and Spywareblaster installed and fully updated, can AOL be any better really ?

The main point really is this, will she be sacrificeing performance running third party apps when AOL's built-in security systems are more than good enough ?

bertiecharlie 19:21 01 Aug 04

The AOL anti spyware programme is based on Spyware Eliminator. click here for details. The three anti spyware programmes your friend have are probably the best. I've been running the AOL anti spyware programme and it throws up a false positive in respect of one particular programme but, beyond that, it functions well enough and is simple to use.

She will need her own anti virus programme as the AV that is offered by AOL only scans emails.

The firewall from McAfee blocks incoming and outgoing traffic whereas the windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic. Once you set it up, you can forget about it, and it doesn't affect performance, not with me at least.

bertiecharlie 19:30 01 Aug 04

Just one further quick point. If she decides upon the McAfee firewall, she should disable the XP firewall. (You probably already know this).

Indigo 1 20:18 01 Aug 04

Thanks for that, I'll set it up for her then.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit for more input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…