AOL ethernet connection

Barson 15:41 30 Apr 07

Hello,
I am trying to help my neighbour set up his computer to receive AOL broadband.
He was supplied with the kit by AOL which included a BT 105 type modem. It is only possible to set this up using ethernet.

The problem was he has no ethernet connection on his Packard Bell computer, which is about 3 years old.
We bought an ethernet card and fitted it and Windows XP tells us it is working correctly, although it seems to fail to connect to the modem through the supplied ethernet cable.
The AOL set-up programme trys but fails nine times to connect.
The only help from AOL appears to be that broadband is up and running so you continue to pay for something you can't use.
Are there windows settings which need to be changed ?.
Thank You.

PinguJohn 16:47 30 Apr 07

A BT 105 modem is a USB modem for ADSL internet access. Therefore, I do not see why you need an ethernet connection.

Barson 17:34 30 Apr 07

Sorry PinguJohn, I must have mistaken the number. I can assure you that the modem supplied has only one ethernet connection and no usb connection.

irishrapter 18:00 30 Apr 07

Open a command prompt ( Go to Start / Run, and type "cmd").
In the command prompt type "ipconfig /all" and copy and paste your results on this forum.

setecio 19:50 30 Apr 07

I haven't heard of a modem supplied by AOL that has just 1 ethernet port and nothing else. Could you check the model number, so we know which it is.

Barson 18:48 01 May 07

Hello Pingujohn,

The router is a Bt Voyager 190 which was apparently developed exclusively for AOL and a requirement to access their system.
I have not been able to access the faulty computer today so thanks irishrapter, I will try your suggestion later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…