AOL Emails - 10 Years

davidnewton 10:14 11 Jun 14

Hi,

A client of mine has been using AOL for the past 10 years for his emails and has now decided to move from AOL to a Microsoft exchange account. However, he wants to keep ALL of his AOL emails. I have tried downloading them through outlook using a POP file but it got to 450,000 emails and 121gb in the pst file (I increased this limit using the system registry) to 200gb and now it has stopped downloading. I think there is around 540,000 emails but there could be more.

I'm just wondering if there is any more effective ways to get all of these Emails off the AOL server and into a file we can keep. AOL is a really unreliable service and wants to get away from it fast but until his old emails are safe he refuses to move.

Many thanks in advance,

David

Jollyjohn 12:57 11 Jun 14

I assume he is going to change Internet Service Provider. When he does so the AOL eMail account can be downgraded to a PAYG - Pay as you go account - the term is a throwback to dial up days but the account will stay active as long as it is used. Therefore all his eMails will still be there.

To download them from the AOL server. Using Outlook, if that is your prefered eMail client, and download in batches. Then Save the messages to a New Folder so they are moved out of the Inbox to allow the next batch.

Make sure the messages are saved as.eml files. If you save the pst file you may not be able to access it in the future, different eMail client, different PC.

I am thinking about how to create the batches, using filters, maybe.

Can the messages be saved directly from the AOL screen to the local PC?

Does he really need ALL those eMails, for 10 years, even Inland Revenue only ask for 7 years records and are any junk that could be filtered out before downloading?

Jollyjohn 13:30 11 Jun 14

Thoughts......

Use IMAP not POP. IMAP will allow you to see all the messages on the server without downloading them, yet.

Create a series of folders, on the local PC, for the eMails. Give this some thought, maybe use names of recipients. Once all eMails are visible, apply a filter to the view, name of folder, then MOVE all those messages into that folder.

This should have moved the messages off the server, repeat as needed.

( if you wanted to try this before applying it to the main account, you create anew sub account on AOL, if AOL allow this, just to try it out)

davidnewton 15:08 11 Jun 14

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

He likes to keep the record for legal reasons not accounting, has previously won legal battles with use of these emails.

He hasn't been with AOL for a while, just has a free email account, do AOL have any legal obligation to keep these emails, or do you think it would be worth upgrading to a "PAYG" account.

As far as downloading them goes, how do i set up a .eml download? I have never heard of these files.

Thanks David

davidnewton 15:08 11 Jun 14

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

He likes to keep the record for legal reasons not accounting, has previously won legal battles with use of these emails.

He hasn't been with AOL for a while, just has a free email account, do AOL have any legal obligation to keep these emails, or do you think it would be worth upgrading to a "PAYG" account.

As far as downloading them goes, how do i set up a .eml download? I have never heard of these files.

Thanks David

davidnewton 15:09 11 Jun 14

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Thanks David

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Thanks David

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Thanks David

Jollyjohn 16:13 11 Jun 14

His free AOL account is what is what was referred to as a PAYG account so no change needed.

If you right click on a message and choose Save - it will be saved, usually in My Documents as an .eml - email format - any eMail client can open this type of file.

The .pst file is unique to Outlook and needs Outlook, on the same PC, to open.

If you create the imap account you will see Inbox, outbox etc, top left. If you now create the storage folders you intend to use you should see them listed a little lower down under the heading "On my PC" or similar

Good luck, it sounds a big task. Time spent planning the folder names will not be wasted.

lotvic 21:00 11 Jun 14

You could adapt method, select multiple emails, 'Drag and Drop' / 'Copy and Paste' details as in This Thread on PCA and save them as .eml files to a folder you have created - maybe on Ext HDD if not enough room on C: Drive.

As Jollyjohn has said: Time spent planning the folder names will not be wasted.

Jollyjohn 12:54 12 Jun 14

More thoughts....

The number of messages could be reduced.

If there are 10 messages relating to "subject A" and "include message in reply" has been set by both parties then only the last message needs to be saved since it contains the other 9 messages.

The amount of data will be significantly reduced by doing the above because;

Message 10 contains 10 copies of message 1, 9 copies of the reply, 8 copies of message 3 and so on.

This equates to 55 blocks of data when only 10 are needed.

Also, I hope you are on a fast unlimited connection trying to do this, even then the synchronisation when you set up the imap account could take a while, hours and hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…