AOL disconnects when using Wireless network

paddersa21 22:54 09 Apr 06

I have 4 PC's on a wireless network through a linksys WRT54GS V5.1 router and a broadband modem. One of the PC's is using AOL for emails. When AOL connects, the Internet connection cuts out as the programme gets to the 'You have e-mail' bit. AOL help is worse than useless and the Autofix programme doesn't. Any ideas?

ade.h 16:06 10 Apr 06

"When AOL connects..." You're using an external ADSL modem, so presumably the connection is established when the modem is powered up, in the normal way. Or do you mean that the SMTP connection is causing your internet connection to collapse?

paddersa21 17:30 10 Apr 06

Sorry, I'll try to make it clearer. Modem is an 'always on' broadband (telewest) modem. I have a Linksys wireless router so that the 4 PC's can share the internet connection. The downstairs PC gets as far as the 'you have emails' bit of the AOL interface, then it loses the connection. After the connection is lostand aol therefore disconnects, the wireless connection comes back. If you try to connect again to AOL the same thing happens. Hope that makes it clearer...

ade.h 17:51 10 Apr 06

So you're actually a cable user, rather than an ADSL user, and the AOL account just comes from a previous type of connection, either ADSL or dial-up.

In which case, as your mail client connects to the SMTP server at AOL, it causes the cable connection to drop. I have read that this can happen over a cable line.

Two workarounds:

1) Assign your AOL email account to a different SMTP/IMAP server, ie Telewest.

2) Use AOL webmail to access your messages and avoid the SMTP server.

I am assuming that you have removed any other vestiges of the old AOL connection from your PC.

paddersa21 18:30 10 Apr 06

How do I do no 1 ?

ade.h 18:40 10 Apr 06

That'll depend on what mail client you use, which is probably OE, so I cannot give specifics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5