AOL Dialup Oly

osben 12:26 22 Jul 04

I have just been told by an AOL Broadband tech that If I download AOL 9 to replace my AOL 8, I don't have to go into AOL9 as such to access the internet. All I need to do is click on the AOL dialer icon and I will bypass AOL9 and get straight onto the net!!!

Further, instead of using AOL for my emails I can use MS Outlook to compose and send my emails

Is this correct and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Due to a nasty experience with AOL 9 when it first came on the scene (it messed up my computer, I mean badly messed up) I do not really want to get involved with it until it has been sorted.

He also said that they do not know of any conflict problems between AOL and Sygate firewall and AVG antivirus. Yet another AOL Tech said there has been!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

stlucia 13:09 22 Jul 04

I can't answer most of your question, except to say that I use AVG anti-virus with AOL 9.0 without any problem.

sicknote 13:28 22 Jul 04
  OU812 13:54 22 Jul 04

I have AOL 9 512kps Broadband and have set up Outlook 2003 no problem however for home use purposes I still tend to use the AOL email programme.

You can set AOL9 to automatically goto a home page (other than the AOL one) after signing on. However this page opens as a Window in the AOL browser.

I tend to sign into AOL and then click on IE for most of my surfing, not because of any problem with AOL (which I still use for browsing) but because I can take advantage of IE's option (press F11) to auto hide the tool and task bar which gives me a significantly larger screen area for viewing web pages than I get with AOL on my 15' TFT.

Final point been on AOL BB since Feb (from its dial up service) and have thus far been very happy with it, particularly in its latest AOL9 variant and will likely as not upgrade to its 1MB service in the near future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…