AOL Dialup

RobCharles1981 13:54 19 Aug 05

I'm on AOL Dialup and hoping too move too AOL Broadband soon when BT enable Broadband. The thing is with Dial up why is my connection laging? Ive done all the necesary spyware checks, defragmented my hard drive, delete tempory files and even tried repairing connectivity services as well, but it just goes really slow and stupid, could be my modem or the phone line im using I'm using an extention cable could this be the blame why i'm not connecting too the maximum speeed of 56kps ??

feb 15:05 19 Aug 05

Hi Rob_23_Wales

run a test on this site click here and post the results

pj123 15:56 19 Aug 05

No Dialup connection will ever connect at 56. The most you can expect is about 38, and that's on a good day. I have been down as low as 24. (Just tried it again now and I got 44)

I am on Broadband with NTL at 2mb but sometimes it is slower than a dialup connection. I do still keep an AOL dialup account active as a backup in case my Broadband goes down.

Diemmess 18:16 19 Aug 05

People on this forum and other places in the past used to talk of having BT "turn up the gain."

This can be double edged beacuse if the line is noisy, the noise increases as well.

It might be worth trying, asking BT to do this, because it is a simple matter for them, costs you nothing and is reversible. When I was on dial-up, I used the opportunity when BT were checking a problem of their own and did gain a few Kb in download speed even reaching the dizzy heights of 44 against 28 on a bad day!

A simple but worthwhile test of your own extension is labour intensive, but would be temporarily to move your PC to the master socket and see if there is a significant improvement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…