AOL dial up probs

big staff 14:04 22 Aug 03

Hi can anyone help. When I try to dial up on aol I get the dreaded illegal operation pop up. (not on this pc obviously!) Running win 98se. There is no firewall. Could it be a modem problem??
Thanks for any help.

mark500 15:03 22 Aug 03

I had a problem when I was on AOL. My modem had the HAM56K Chip and AOL does not like this. Go to your modem manufacturers website and get newer drivers.

xania 15:04 22 Aug 03

Sounds to me that one or more of your IE files are corrupt. Try running SFC - you will need your installation CD available -

xania 15:04 22 Aug 03

Sounds to me that one or more of your IE files are corrupt. Try running SFC - you will need your installation CD available -

xania 15:08 22 Aug 03

It is not clear at what stage this message arises. Do you get as far as seeing your dialler?

Try testing your modem by running the Phone dialler in Accessories - Communcations. If you can get a dial tone, try ringing any number and see if you can get a response. So long as this is working, you don't have a hardware or driver problem.

If could be that one or more of your IE files are corrupt. Try running SFC - you will need your installation CD available - and reinstal everything that is reported as damaged. Then re-install your AOL software over-the-top.

pj123 15:26 22 Aug 03

Make a new connection and enter this number (which was posted by some nice member a while ago) 08451 121212 Do a connection and enter any ID and any password. If you get a connection your modem isn't the problem. I now use it all the time to test modems. I had someone with the same problem. In the end I removed the AOL programme and used the AOL disk to re-activate the account. Worked OK. No problem since. AOL helpdesk couldn't explain it.

BURGMAN02 15:38 22 Aug 03

I find the AOL helpline a little naff.

big staff 19:24 22 Aug 03

Mark 500, yep it was the modem drivers. Now sorted. Thanks to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…