AOL dial-up problems

polonius 16:44 23 Jul 04
  xania 16:47 23 Jul 04

We need more information:

*What OS, How long has problem continued? Has ial-up always been a problem or has it worked and now stopped. What has been done to the system since it last worked.

xania 16:47 23 Jul 04

We need more information:

*What OS, How long has problem continued? Has ial-up always been a problem or has it worked and now stopped. What has been done to the system since it last worked.

Shas 16:54 23 Jul 04

Can't offer any help I'm afraid, but experiencing similar problems. On AOL9 bb and over the last week or so the connection just drops, sometimes half a dozen times a day, for no apparent reason. I've uninstalled + re-installed both the programme and dial-up-networking, but still does it. (Not having the same re-connection problems as your friend though, I can get back online quite quickly.)

gold 47 17:05 23 Jul 04

Don't have AOL dial up but this week having problems on broadband when you click on a page to open all your left with is the the AOL icon click to exit and it locks my computer up have to use the reset button to release no errors show in the avent log adapter rebuilt still the same no viruses found.

Djohn 17:57 23 Jul 04

With dial up to AOL you have a selection of phone numbers to use. These numbers will be set in your dial up properties, if after dialling the first number your friends modem does not connect for any reason it will move onto the next number on the list. After going through all numbers it will go back to the first one and start again.

You can access these numbers from the AOL log on screen, try different ones to find the best connection then set that number at the top of the list. Also you can try deleting all the Global.org files as these may be corrupt.

Go to Start/search and in the search box type.

Global.org

Click on OK or hit the enter key, when all files are found, delete them, reboot the PC and log on to AOL again, it will rebuild the folder as it connects.

Shas.

The reason your dropping your broadband connection may be due to two problems. First, check that your modem is not being robbed of power by other USB hardware. The modem requires the full 500 milliamp to maintain it's connection so try disconnecting any other USB hardware for a while, see if that cures the problem.

If it does, buy a powered hub to connect through, they can be bought for a few pounds now and will give you extra ports as well. Also check that your modem is not switching itself off when not in use.

Right click on your "My Computer Icon" choose properties then left click the hardware tab, click on Device manager,scroll down to "Universal serial Bus controllers". Left click on the + sign to expand then right click on any and all, "USB Root Hub", right click and choose properties/Power management tab. Remove the tick from the box. "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Shas 18:23 23 Jul 04

Firstly, no I don't have any other USB device plugged in, (my only other usb device is a card reader but I only plug it in when needed.)

Secondly, I can't find a power management tab within the USB Root Hub bit - I have 98SE, perhaps it's in a different place. I've seen the "allow computer to turn off this device" checkbox somewhere but can't think where, and I'm blowed if I can find it! Never mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…