AOL Default Internet Browser

DRiM 21:36 06 Apr 04

HI, I am subscribing to AOL and I want to continue to use IE as my browser and MS Outlook for my email.

How do I get rid of the awful AOL browser and email handler and set IE and Outlook as my defaults.

I have tried to follow AOL instructions without any luck.

I am using XP

Giggle n' Bits 21:55 06 Apr 04

Bt, Freeserve, Tiscali and not go to AOL, ok it can be done but you will have problems, and more problems with AOL if you try to use Ie.

pharte 22:04 06 Apr 04

simple as..... log into AOL, mininise it then click internet explorer icon to open and off you go browsing.

as far as outlook for e-mail go to control panel, internet options, programmes and use drop down list to choose what you would like to use to view your e-mail.

Alternatively, launch outlook and set up e-mail within there.

Djohn 22:08 06 Apr 04

You can now use AOL without loading the software on your system. Just put your username and dial-up details into IE as you would with any other ISP and log on. j.

DRiM 22:35 06 Apr 04

Thanks Djohn, what about email? don't I need the server type details and stuff?

DRiM 22:38 06 Apr 04

Thanks Kinloss,

I have been with BT for about 7 years, but since changing to BT Yahoo! the sysytem has become unreliable and the help available (from India) is worse than useless.

I need an ISP that allows me to connect using the same dial up number when I am away from home, and not many ISPs do that.

pharte 22:56 06 Apr 04

freeserve provide the same dial up number from anywhere if u are mobile, you will not even pay if you are phoning from someone else's phone as it will bill their phone if you are on pay as you go

DRiM 23:02 06 Apr 04

Thanks pharte, that's brilliant.

Can I just check what you mean. I want an unmetered account, NOT a pay as you go. Can I use the same number anywhere in UK?

DRiM 23:24 06 Apr 04

pharte, I just checked the freeserve website, it says you can only use the single telephone number you provide when you sign up.

So freeserve is no good.

DRiM that

DRiM 13:30 07 Apr 04

I have got it sorted! are an ISP who allow up to 5 locations to dial up from, that will suit me fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…