AOL Connection Problem using DSL-G604T

OMS_2000M 21:52 02 Jun 08

I have been using a D-link DSL-G604T router to connect to AOL for the last 2 years. I have been running the following settings:

PPPoA
VPI:0 / VCI:38
MTU: 1400
MRU: 1492

About 2 weeks ago all the computers connected to the router (wired and wireless) stopped connecting to the internet. Router still showed it was connected however. I tried a number of different connection settings without success.

Having read a post which stated using:

Pref DNS: 192.168.1.1
Alt DNS: 4.2.2.2

improved the connection performance I entered these values (was originally using automatic setting) but kept the automatic IP setting. Suddenly the connection was returned! This successfully worked on all 3 computers (all on XP).

I am confused as to why everything would work fine for 2 years and then need these settings all of a sudden? Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Many thanks...

sean-278262 22:10 02 Jun 08

DNS is domain name server, if your ISP (AOL) has issues with one of theirs using a different DNS server which converts the click here to whatever the websites address is in the 192.2.2.1 (example) so that you can connect to the server for that website.

Basically by using a different setting means you are bypassing a DNS server that is having issues and using one that works perfectly.

Or at least that is my understanding of it all and trying to convey what I understand in technobabble into normobabble.

A

gazbristol 12:45 02 Oct 08

Can anyone help...
I have AOL BB and was using a Netgear adsl router without issue. I want to change the router to one provided integral to my phone system (BT Versatility). When I try to congigure the new router for PPPoE and enter my username and pw (as confirmed with AOL tech support) the router trys to connect but cant authenticate. AOL tech support say the log shows the router connecting but stopping at stage 2 (which I assume is where the username and pw are checked)and there is nothing they can do. I have checked the settings against my old netgear router and the only thing that I can see that is different is:

1) The netgear LAN ip is 192.168.0 1, whereas the new router is 192.168.1.1

2) The netgear router shows the ip subnet mask as 255.255.255.255, where as the new router is programmed to 255.255.255.0

Does anyone have any suggestions please??

Gaz

aceofbass 15:46 02 Oct 08

AOL have recently changed their login details as a result of upgrading their service. My wireless router had to be configured to login on [email protected] not [email protected] (where yourusername is the account name you use to access AOL).
If you are still using [email protected] then it's worth trying the dialbb.com instead

(This seems to fit in with the point at which your username is being checked so it may be worth trying)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…