AOL connected but not connected

smick 19:56 28 Aug 07

When my father-in-law connects to the net through aol he can send email but the internet will not work. The home page has an error saying something along the lines of the navigation to the page was cancelled. If you bring up an IE or firefox browser the story is similar. It is just as if it is not connected. This is the same for all windows accounts except for one! On this one account everything works fine. Even if I create a new account it doesn't work. What on earth is going on? Windows XP m/c running AOL 9 & mcafee anti virus & firewall. No virus has been found. HELP!

mrwoowoo 20:24 28 Aug 07

my aol has limited or no connection.Also no password screen to sign in on,therefore i can no longer add favourites or do anything else as i have to sign in as a guest.
apparently this is caused by a windows update that conflicts with the aol software and aol are working on a fix that is due out in about a week.
It may be sent in the form of an e-mail from them and may well be the reason you are having probs with their software as well.
May be worth a call to them or go on live help if you can as it is free.

smick 21:48 31 Aug 07

I don't think this a compatabilty issue as it still works with one of the users windows logins! Anyone with any other ideas?

rdave13 22:02 31 Aug 07

Have you tried the one click fixes? Works on XP but not Vista. Right click AOL icon in sys tray. Have a look at the list.

smick 22:35 31 Aug 07

Ive tried several of them including reseting it back to its default settings. My next plan of action is to try a windows restore back 3 weeks to when the problem wasn't there as it seems to be linked to windoes log-ins. If that doesn't solve it I will reinstall aol & if that fails it looks like a complete rebuild.

woodchip 22:40 31 Aug 07

Firewall may be stopping access, Try disabling it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…