AOL Broadband and "wireless routers"

Rudeboyrudy 18:18 30 Nov 05

When I tried to install AOL Broadband Silver, my (perfectly adequate spec) desktop crashed. AOL told me that it was because it was sited more than 10 m from the point where the BT line enters the house - true, but they don't warn you of that when you order it! There's a regular BT extension cable between the two. For various reasons, I don't want to move the desktop, and I'd like my wife's laptop (elsewhere in the house) to use broadband too. Someone told me I needed a "wireless router" - AOL's cunningly named Help deny that such a thing would work. I've told neither that there's a 2 ft thick sandstone wall in direct line between the BT entry point and the desktop.

Do I need wholesale rewiring, or would a wireless router sort me out? I'd be really interested to see what people think!

rdave13 18:29 30 Nov 05

A previous thread WIRELESS FOR AOL SILVER.....BEGINNER

rdave13 18:30 30 Nov 05

Use the search form top right.

phil46 14:03 01 Dec 05

AOL silver you get no support,if you upgrade to GOLD you have then signed a new one year contract.

driving man 15:30 01 Dec 05

About £90 from PC World Netgear DG834GT.
Like you I have just upgraded to AOL silver--Its fast enough for me--- And decided to go wireless which as someone has mentioned AOL will not support. With no previous knowledge I installed most of it but had a friend (Taff tm who comes on here )to do some tweaking and network my laptop and desktop together along with the printers. Have tried laptop inside a double skinned brick garage which is 50 feet from router and all works well

driving man 15:32 01 Dec 05

following on I did put the router near to the BT socket and luckily a power source was there as well. Used the Netgear filter supplied not AOL's. In fact AOL kit is in its box untouched

pharte 22:07 01 Dec 05

just to add a fly to the ointment you won't be able to connect two computers to the internet unless you have gold, silver will only allow one and only use the prescribed routers too.

driving man 22:57 01 Dec 05

Pharte
To clarify ---Both are attached but only one can access internet at a time. But there again I cant be in 2 places at the same time ,----so no bother to me. plus I guarantee the one I mentioned does work. ----------- Otherwise I am on this forum only as a figment of my imagination .

PS who am I and where amI? The answer is 42 (Ford Prefect )

keewaa 23:12 01 Dec 05

"""When I tried to install AOL Broadband Silver, my (perfectly adequate spec) desktop crashed. AOL told me that it was because it was sited more than 10 m from the point where the BT line enters the house"""

As far as I know, that is absolute rubbish ! The distance of a PC from the main telephone box does NOT cause a PC to crash. It might cause you to be unable to connect to the broadband, but will not cause a PC to crash !

Taff™ 07:15 02 Dec 05

Pharte - You mean only one will be able to log into AOL at any one time. Driving Man`s set up allows both to access the internet, one on AOL and the other using IE/OE - either combination. Once a computer has logged on to AOL through the router the other can do so without logging in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…