AOL Broadband problems

daisy2bell 17:21 01 Feb 05

When I got my new computer about 2 weeks ago, I noticed a BIG improvement on my AOL broadband speed.
But since about 3-5 days it has slowed down a lot, and sometimes when trying to access websites including PC advisor, pages load about halfway and then just hang. I then have to wait sometimes up to 30 mins for the page to load. This is driving me crazy.
I have Adaware,Spybot,a2,CCleaner,SpywareBlaster,CWshredder, and update them once a day.McAfee firewall, AVG updated daily. All of these cannot find anything.

AOL say that it is spyware which is causing this.
I don't know what else to do.
I have emptied both the cach and stored websites etc.Defrag and scandisc daily
Compaq Intel P4/ 512/2.9 AOL9/XP home SP2
Any ideas please.

It has taken me 2 minutes to get to this page this time

Thanks

buscrew 17:47 01 Feb 05

If you have spyware, it may be lurking in the system restore information. Try turning off system restore, this will delete all restore points, then do a check via your anti-spyware applications. If all report a clean machine you can almost certainly discount spyware. Don't forget to turn system retore back on and create a restore point.

daisy2bell 21:48 01 Feb 05

Thanks buscrew, I'll try that as a last resort as I don't want to lose all my retore points quite yet unless I have to

daisy2bell 22:23 02 Feb 05

Update.

I had a thought that XP firewall might be set to "On". I have now disabled it, as I use McAfee firewall. Running both firewalls would I assume slow down things. Anyway, AOL seems to be running normal since I disabled the XP one.

Which firewall is actualy better, McAfee or XP home SP2

Thanks

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:21 03 Feb 05

McAfee I would imagine - the XP firewall is very limited.

I have AOL broadband, but always use Internet Explorer as web browser as it does seem to respond better that the AOL browser, and particularly so on PCA.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:23 03 Feb 05

About XP firewall

click here

daisy2bell 11:26 03 Feb 05

Thanks for that

JIM 11:58 03 Feb 05

As JaßîsFaß ˜ suggest,far better to use McAfee i have same as yourself + Aol. Internet Explorer as web browser or better still poss in my opinion firefox. Will give slight edge over speed of AOL.

Would still check that you have no "spyware",with the usuall tools.It's getting to the stage now where we are running so many spyware/antivirus and cleaning software + popup blocker software, that the running programs and startup programs are also slowing down our systems even surfing.And that's without network problems to contend with using the faster Broadband. :(

daisy2bell 13:18 03 Feb 05

Jim, Have just downloaded and installed firefox. This is much quicker than AOL. Thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009