AOL broadband problem-INIT packet

daftdruid 00:47 29 Dec 03

Hi,my friend has an 850Amd with 512mb and 40G hd.She recently went onto AOL b/b from a 56k dial-up.Since then she gets on to it ok, but after a while,a message comes up about an AOL INIT packet, and the system then has to be re-started(no good just trying to re-start the AOL.).When she called AOL helpline,someone told her it was because she was using a socket extension lead.However, I do not see how this can be so, as I also use one and have had no problems.
I have tried re-installing, and noticced that when it installs for the modem, it says it is a globus modem, and yet it is a BT100 modem.Could this be the reason? If so, could I use my installation disk to install the modem drivers?Any help or ideas would be really appreciated as I have run out of thiings to try.
I will look back here tomorrow evening to see if anyone can help.Thanks,
Paul

gold 47 01:04 29 Dec 03

I have AOL broadband and i am using a 20ft lead no problem what so ever uninstall reboot do a search for AOL files delete them reinstall the drivers only you can select this if you explore
the CD if you right click the drive in my computer
then when that is done install AOL disable any antivirus.

ahales42 01:13 29 Dec 03

try start control panel add/remove progs. remove your bb modem. then follow the instructions. then re install it again.

ahales42 01:16 29 Dec 03

if that don`t work. phone bt and ask them to check your line.

Mango Grummit 07:15 29 Dec 03

I had this problem. To cut a long story short - running the modem through a powered hub solved it for me. My connection has been rock solid ever since.

Mango Grummit 15:04 31 Dec 03

Hi, how's it going for your friend now? Did you pass on the info? Get any response?

These days I only try to help people who seem reasonably erudite - as you did - and ignore those that increase "registered users" numbers. So, you see, am a bit disappointed if I misread your reasoning for posting here.

Just for a smile -- heres a daft druid :o)
click here

Mango Grummit 15:05 31 Dec 03

Your friend was a "her" and you failed to impress her. Got it -- Sorry.

M

hmmm 16:39 31 Dec 03

i had the same problem. Found out that my modem was faulty and my extension was faulty. Got a new modem from aol and a new extension and it is working fine

ahales42 19:03 31 Dec 03

"Hi there. tried your advice and all the others, but sadly no luck so far.I will keep trying and let you know if I have any luck." Thanks for the email, but generally a good idea to post so we all know what`s happening. I take it BT say your line is fine? Try phoning AOL and tell them your driver disc is for a different modem.The extension lead thing is nonsense.

gold 47 19:17 31 Dec 03

Just taken a look on google Global is showing up as Dell???? If you have the AOL broadband pack don't understand why it's showing as a Dell modem!!!! yes some Dell computers have a dial up modem on with AOL preinstalled but mine is showing up as a BT Voyager.

daftdruid 18:56 01 Jan 04

To all who offered advice, many thanks.In the end ,it turned out to be the extension cable.It seems her kitten had chewed it and the wires were not always making a full contact

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…