AOL Broadband Networking?? surely it can work?

Dijpo 13:29 19 Jan 05

I recently aquired Aol braodband with a 1mb connection hoping to network accross the 4 computers in my house. This never really happened as whenever I go through the setup wizard It get's to the point at the end of setup (for the router) where you save the settings and connect to the internet, the settings save and the ADSL light flashes for about 10 seconds, then a error window appears saying something like "invalid phone book entry". I don't have a clue what that means and I don't see why a phone book entry would have anything to do with me getting my network to connecct to the internet. So for the time being I'm having to use my USB modem on the one computer alone. I've been in conatct with AOL tech support aswell and they have told me that I'm not really eligible for technical support as I did not buy the Belkin or Thompson Routers and modems they have for sale with the Broadband. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP???

gNick 13:51 19 Jan 05

Well I have my PCs networked and acessing AOL fine even on a non-supported(at the time of installation) Netgear DG834G router.
If you follow through the procedures they show to set up the supported systems you should be able to get sorted.
Failing that try the people you bought the router from (I used DSL Warehouse and they were very helpful) or the manufacturer. AOL is one of the big players in ISP so the manufacturer will probably be able to help.
I do remember there was a setting that is different on AOL from most other ISPs which should help but alas I can't remember what it is.
Nick

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:46 19 Jan 05

In AOL go to Keyword - Broadband.

In the window that opens (titled AOL Broadband), click on the link in the bottom box titled 'Home Network : Share your connection'.

Which router you are using may enable further help to be given.

roy 19:02 19 Jan 05

I presume that you were connected to broadband before you tried to use the router or have you never connected to it yet?

From your description of the ADSL light's flashing it sounds to me that you ared not connecting to your ISP. Have you tried to get on to the internet first, through the router, before trying to set up the network?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:13 20 Jan 05

How are you getting on?

Dijpo 22:48 20 Jan 05

At the moment I'm connecting using my usb modem. I've never actually connected using my Ethernet modem. I'll check aol keyword broadband and see how I get on. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…