aol broadband modem

westdudes 16:26 28 Nov 03

ive recently got broadband on aol but the modem nvr works when i switch my computer on the dsl signal does not appear.the power is fine and my laptops chipset is fine.to activate the modems dsl signal i have too take the usb cable out the modem and plug it back it then everything works fine.can anyone offer a solution to avoid this anoying thing?

Djohn 16:34 28 Nov 03

When you first installed the modem, did you install the software first?

Also Which operating system are you using and which version of AOL please?

westdudes 16:43 28 Nov 03

aol version 8.0 and yes software was installed before the modem was plugged in the usb ports. windows xp i am using. my laptop is a pentium 4 2.66ghz 256 mb ddr ram 40gig hdd 64mb nvidia graphics chipset, and a sound chip realavec i think but need to check that one.
any help i'd be greatful because aol couldn't come up with anything except the power from the usb ports were bad but they are fine because they power a scanner and have been tested aswell. maybe the fact its a packard bell latptop would suggest something lol

Djohn 16:53 28 Nov 03

Packard Bell are fine PC's, so no worries there.

The fact your scanner works OK will not confirm a good connection for a USB Broadband modem. The USB ports on your Laptop will produce 500m of power,the USB modem will require all of this to work satisfactorily.

If the modem is calling for a little more power, then there is none in reserve, especially if you are using any other USB hardware at the same time. The first thing I would try is a powered hub, see if you can borrow one for a while.

Plug the hub into the USB on the Laptop and into the mains power supply, then the modem into the powered hub, it just might cure the problem for you. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017