AOL broadband freezing up my pc !!

chriscross72 21:24 20 Jun 04

I have recently installed aol 10x broadband on my pc....every so often (too often) the pc just freezes completely.i can not make it work again without turning off at the switch and re booting this is most annoying as it did nothing like this on aol dial up
I have windows 2000 pro loads of free ram an AMD athlon xp1700 processor and am at a loss as to why broadband should keep locking my pc.......i'm not working it too hard downloading stuff either....any ideas please ??
Thank you ; ))

chriscross72 21:28 20 Jun 04

oh...and i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the modem drivers....it's a BT Voyager 105 dsl usb modem......it's on usb 1.1 front connection port

Djohn 21:32 20 Jun 04

click here Have a read through this thread and try the suggestions I made. If none of them help or you require more assistance then please post back to this thread. j.

sicknote 23:33 20 Jun 04

Could be that your BT Voyager 105 dsl usb modem needs to go onto a powered USB hub.With some chipset like Via, the system locks up due to a power related problem with the chipset

chriscross72 23:36 20 Jun 04

would a pci usb card be better than the usb ports on the front of my machine ?

sicknote 23:54 20 Jun 04

Not to sure on that,You would have to try it,but i know the hub does work, maybe you could borrow one ??

Tikka 13:46 02 Jul 04

I also have problems with freezing when using AOL "Silver" and AOL 9 and W XP. Problem commonly, but not exclusively, arises when monitor has shut down after 10 minutes (not on standby) but also occurrs when the system is inactive for a period. Have tried all AOL suggestions without success. Would happily revert to dialup if I wasn't locked in for 12 months.

Tikka 13:46 02 Jul 04

I also have problems with freezing when using AOL "Silver" and AOL 9 and W XP. Problem commonly, but not exclusively, arises when monitor has shut down after 10 minutes (not on standby) but also occurrs when the system is inactive for a period. Have tried all AOL suggestions without success. Would happily revert to dialup if I wasn't locked in for 12 months.

Shas 14:02 02 Jul 04

Did you download AOL's free McAfee firewall when you went onto bb? I've found that since I did, I get constant freezes of the mouse pointer, for maybe 30-60 seconds at a time and I think it's the firewall that's doing it. Can't do anything until whatever it is has released it. Also, yesterday it must have dropped its connection at least a dozen times.

Tikka - I have heard of at least one case where AOL have released people from the 12 month lock in where they were really unhappy with the service. Might be worth asking them, especially if you were going to stay with them but on dial up.

PUNKA 19:44 02 Jul 04

Check out AOL's new bb checkup tool keyword CHECKUP, this should help the freezing problem.

Regards.

CHAIRLEG 23:06 02 Jul 04

I've been on aol bb now for 2 weeks i had trouble connecting then a pop up window appeared telling me to download an update from aol for better connectability since then have had no problems.have you tried the aol check up this also made things run smoother.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…