AOL Broadband Download Speeds

Chris-j 18:51 20 Jun 08

Hi, anyone had recent experience of poor download speeds with AOL? After complaining about a 'new customers only' 8mb offer I was upgraded and briefly received increased speeds. Then after a week or so back to 2mb or less (700kps tonight). I've had lots of different reasons from their customer services people, and am still waiting for a call back to resolve. I don't want to start a 'let's bash AOL' discussion, just want to know if a current problem and if anyone has managed to resolve. Thanks.

Kaacee 22:20 20 Jun 08

How far from the exchange are you, I had similar problems and they put me on "test" for about 10 days and then let the line sent the best speed without losing connection, in my case this is approx. 0.9Mbs. Not fantastic but at least its constant.

rdave13 22:31 20 Jun 08

Since your line has been 'upgraded' it would be better if you left the modem/router on for 24/7 until it settles down. As Gudlucker says it will take a few days.
Up to 8mb might mean that your line will settle for 3 or 4 mb if lucky. Any more then it will be a bonus. Just leave your router/modem on.

woodchip 22:36 20 Jun 08

Try this click here

I get 6943kbps at the moment on a 8Mg TalkTalk line
upload is 370kbps

I am 1.8 miles from exchange, at evening I have had it drop to about just over a meg

woodchip 22:37 20 Jun 08

PS I am on Lulu

provider 2 22:56 20 Jun 08

Just tested my speed with woodchip`s tester:

Down 1.8 Mbps
Up 229 Kbps

I`m on AOL`s 2.0 Mbps connection and those speeds are the best I can hope for, though yesterday evening they were about half that, and not unusual evenings and weekends.
The exchange, a small rural one, built in the time of Queen Victoria, I think, is about 6 miles away so there`s precious little I can do about it except dodge round the AOL software altogether and connect directly by ethernet, which restores my connection to round about the 2.0 Mbps level.

rdave13 23:26 20 Jun 08

'PS I am on Lulu'

You lucky devil.. :-|

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac