AOL Broadband is like dial-up sometimes

Paula Michelle 12:41 23 Apr 05

I have had broadband from AOL since Christmas, and I would not recommend them to amyone. Apart from constant hassles through mistakes, wrong billing, simple minded call centre operatives and an ability to get out of things that would make The Great Houdini proud, they have been no help at all. Now I am experiencing real problems with my connection. I have noticed that it takes over thirty seconds to connect to click here, and to Novatech's website and others about once every two or three minutes. In other words it seems to me that my connection frequently changes to dial up for short periods and it is driving me insane.

I obtained Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test from the internet and after running this over and over I have a definite problem in connecting to UK servers. The trouble is, I have no idea what to do about it and I have no confidence that AOL's resident goons will be able to help. The last time I discussed this with them they told me that I was paranoid and should forget about it.

If anyone out there is experiencing similar problems, or anyone is an expert at this sort of thing and has some constructive advice I would love to hear from them. I am paying £24.99 for a 1MB connection that only works 85% of the time and I am at boiling point and spitting feathers 15% of the time.

Paula.

mattyc_92 14:55 23 Apr 05

I am also using AOL BB and find that my connection can become slow, but not that slow...

It may be something on your system that is trying to access the internet/download things like Windows Updates, your AV's update function, etc.... Try disabling things like these, and you should find that the internet is fast once again....

pj123 15:54 23 Apr 05

My AOL dialup runs out in May. I have just rung them to see what they can offer. Have been offered their Gold BB connection for £19.99 for a 12 month contract.

I always ring their Waterford phone number as I find I get better service. The number is 0800 376 7444, they seem to know what they are doing.

crisp1 20:20 23 Apr 05

i have been with AOL for a couple of years now.i have 1mb it takes ages to connect and the call centres are rubbish you mite as well talk to a brick wall .as i am a heavy user and can t get cable i am not spoit for choice who i go with so for now i am stuck with them

rdave13 20:41 23 Apr 05

bump

heapy 21:47 23 Apr 05

sack them im on ntl broadband no probs so far apart from chopping the cable in half in the garden with a shovel which they fixed free of charge in the same week

Paula Michelle 22:00 23 Apr 05

Forgive me for being so forum-ignorant, but what exactly is the meaning and intention of "bump"?

heapy 22:08 23 Apr 05

i think he means sack them

Paula Michelle 22:21 23 Apr 05

I can't sack them, I'm bound to a contract and they say that my connection has to be so poor as to be almost unusable before I have enough to leave for technical reasons. I wouldn't even be posting here with this problem if I thought that there was the slightest chance that anyone at AOL would actually listen to me and try to do something instead of waffling on like they do. I can only presume that they can't afford or are too mean to pay for anyone with good I.T. skills.

ton 22:46 23 Apr 05

"bump" is a way of putting your post back to the top of the page.

having the same probs myself!..silly download speeds ranging from dial up to the norm..i have a post about being routed through the usa instead of the uk servers,and if i(we) are it would explain the speed anomolies..regards akanic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac