Is AOL broadband connection really 'always on'?

CurlyWhirly 17:54 30 Aug 04

I am on AOL Broadband and I am not sure if my connection is really an 'always on connection' as I have to log on to access the internet.
Anyone know if there is any truth in this statement or not?

Djohn 17:57 30 Aug 04

It's always on if you leave the connection open but if you close it down or turn off your PC then you will be logged off. This applies to all ASDL connections though, not just AOL.

CurlyWhirly 18:01 30 Aug 04

Thanks for the prompt response!
The reason why I am asking is if I turned my firewall or anti-virus off while on the Windows desktop could I become infected by viruses, worms, etc even though NOT logged in to AOL?
You see on my USB ADSL modem the 'power' and 'DSL' lights are ON even WHILE on the desktop.

Graham ® 18:05 30 Aug 04

No you would not get infected. The buses are always running but you're not always on one.

Diemmess 18:08 30 Aug 04

Yes (I am using Aol BB).... The Power and DSL lights are on, but unless you have signed on there should be no sign of the third (Data) light coming on

CurlyWhirly 18:13 30 Aug 04

Now I know that I can (say) play a game without disconnecting the modem by using the XP 'safely remove hardware' icon on the taskbar.

This was done as I usually disable anti-virus and firewall while playing games to free up resources and I didn't want to do this while leaving modems lights ON as I was unsure whether malware could transfer even while NOT logged on.
Resolved now as it IS safe.

CurlyWhirly 18:15 30 Aug 04

This state of affairs has been at the back of my mind for some time.
Now finally resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…