AOL Broadband check-up

CurlyWhirly 01:32 29 Oct 04

Hi. Just to make sure that my broadband connection is okay I regularly run the 'AOL Computer Check-up' and in MOST cases a message comes up saying 'No issues found'.

However yesterday I downloaded and installed the 'AOL Broadband Check-up' and at the start of the check up it just 'froze' and in the end I had to close it down with the Windows Task Manager.
Do other people get this as well?
(Obviously talking to other AOL subscribers!)

Tenacious Green 07:32 29 Oct 04

When I downloaded this, it worked fine on the initial check done automatically on installation, but when I ran it the second time, exactly the same happened, it just froze. I uninstalled it and have no intentions of re-installing it at the moment.

Just wondering do you have a 64 bit machine?

picklsey 07:42 29 Oct 04

yes i get that as well sometimes,the cure for me was simple i just don,t use it because there is nothing more annoying than your pc running great and just out of curiousity you run a bb check and it freezes.it gets your mind working over time time.so as long as the pc is running well on the net i won,t be using it.hope this answers your question.cheers.

Diemmess 09:12 29 Oct 04

I feel checkup is unnecessary and ignore it for most of the other post's reasons.

It didn't seem to do anything useful and is better disabled, there are plenty of other ways which are already running and detect trouble.

CurlyWhirly 09:32 29 Oct 04

Just wondering do you have a 64 bit machine?

I wish I did. I have an Athlon XP 3000+

CurlyWhirly 09:39 29 Oct 04

After reading all of your above commects I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT a problem at my end as all you lot get the same problem!
I will however continue to use 'Computer Check-up' as I have so far NOT had any problem running this!

It seems odd that AOL releases a 'health check' utility that freezes your PC!

Tenacious Green 10:45 29 Oct 04

Yes, I do AMD 64 3000+. I was wondering if that may have been the problem as my mates Pentium 4 2.8 works fine on BB checkup.

CHAIRLEG 15:45 29 Oct 04

I find that if connected to the net it freezes if not connected to net it runs ok.

CurlyWhirly 02:48 30 Oct 04

I may try it now as come to mention it it ONLY freezes while I am online!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…