AOL broadband

midian 09:02 05 Apr 06

My Father and i are considering switching to AOL Broadband Gold because we want an uncapped service but will the router and the usb dongle we use already work when we switch from Wannadoo to AOL? Dad has sent AOL a few emails asking whether this specific router will work with them, AOL just sent him a list of routers that they support which didnt really answer his question.

Diemmess 09:16 05 Apr 06

I have no experience of a router with Aol, though from what I read in this forum, Aol will only support those they list.
So why not try what you have, but be prepared to have to buy a replacement.
(Aol will give you appropriate ASDL filters as part of the first contract)

What router are you using? Others may be able to help.

If you don't really need more than 1G, you can save a lot of money with Silver, which like all the Aol Broadband contracts is uncapped.
The only downside I can think of is the telephone helpline for silver is a National rate number, but 0800 for Gold or Platinum service.

midian 09:33 05 Apr 06

The router we have is an Edimax AR-60 24 WG

The USB dongle reciever i use is an Edimax EW-7317Ug . If anyone is 100% sure this will work then let me know.

phil46 10:24 05 Apr 06

It is pot luck if your router will work with AOL the ones used by AOL are Netgear and Speedtouch.
It is also worth remembering that with AOL you have signed up for the year you can't get out of it unless you buy the contract out also if you complete the years contract and change your package again that counts as another years contract.

Shas 10:42 05 Apr 06

As Diemmess says, Silver is cheaper, but if you are planning a home network, you would have to go Gold as Silver doesn't support that.

Can't comment on the router you mention I'm afraid, as I have a Netgear one, but that's been virtually trouble free.

Viv-208691 10:45 05 Apr 06

I have used a Belkin and Linksys router (both wireless) with AOL. Basically, I had a few difficulties setting it up but I think you SHOULD be able to use any router.

click here

There are a couple of key things you need to do regarding the AOL username and password, but it should be OK.

midian 11:27 05 Apr 06

Thanks guys for the help, we are now looking at Toucan Broadband see whats what.

benwil 11:29 05 Apr 06

i use bt voyager adsl router and wireless card with out any problems for over a year now. the only thing that needs changing in the setup is the MTU rate to 1400. oh and a aol account of course.

mrsjock 17:25 06 Apr 06

click here

if you go to the above you will find that AOL will give you a free wireless modem router if you sign up for one of their broadband packages

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…