AOL & Broadband

She 11:42 21 Aug 04

My Brother-in-law lives in an area where the telephone exchange is not Broadband enabled. He has taken up the offer from AOL of a system to use a modem supplied and set up by AOL to enable him to get Broadband via AOL. The system provides a link to download a Firewall from McAfee. When he tried to do this he got a message saying it could not be done as his settings were wrong, but the message did not say what they should be. Since then he has been unable to access the internet, or programmes through the start menu or the control panel although e-mail is OK. When in e-mail he click on Internet AOL throws him out and he has to try and Sign on again.He gets error messages saying either IExplorer is unable to find MSHTML.DLL or Explore is unable to find MSHTML.DLL. He has 'phoned AOL but they don't seem to be able to help. He has had somebody in to look at the computer - and they didn't help either. His computer is a Dell 800mhz using Wndows ME.
Have any of you Guru's out there any idea what the problem might be?
Thanks in anticipation.

Djohn 11:58 21 Aug 04

I'm a little confused by your post. If the exchange is not broadband enabled then AOL or any other ISP cannot supply Broadband via the telephone connection. Has your friend taken up the option from AOL to have broadband via cable through NTL?

She 12:19 21 Aug 04

No. He lives in a small hamlet of 12 people so there is not enough to register for Broadband. AOL have supplied him with the modem. Whether they connect him by dialling into some other type of network I don't know. And I don't think he does. AOL e-mailed him to offer him the service and he took it up.

Djohn 12:30 21 Aug 04

Found this on the Microsoft website referring to the error code he is seeing. this is the fix for the M.E. Version of windows. Hope it is of some help to you but still having trouble grasping how AOL is providing broadband through an exchange that is not enabled.
================================================

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

Click Extract.

Type ie_1.cab, and then click Start.
In the Restore from field, type c:\windows\windows update setup files.
In the Save as field, type c:\windows\windows update setup files, and then click OK.

When you receive a prompt to back up the file to C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc, click Yes or OK.
If you receive the following prompt, click Yes or OK:

The backup folder does not exist. Do you want to create it?

If you receive a dialog box that says: "The file was successfully extracted", click OK.

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

Click Extract
Type mshtml.dll, and then click Start.
In the Restore from field, type c:\windows\windows update setup files.
In the Save as field, type c:\windows\system, and then click OK.

When you receive a prompt to back up the file to C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc, click Yes or OK.

When you receive a dialog box that says: "The file was successfully extracted", click OK.
Close System File Checker and then restart the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…